Chick-fil-A will serve breakfast at UNA

Junior Cory Moss eats a Chick-fil-A sandwich in The Commons Jan.12. Sodexo general manager Alan Kinkead said the restaurant will begin serving breakfast in February.

As the hype about the addition of Chick-fil-A and Starbucks wears down, a new feature sparks fresh excitement.

Chick-fil-A will begin serving breakfast at UNA starting spring 2015.

“We just recently got permission to do breakfast (at Chick-fil-A),” said Sodexo general manager Alan Kinkead. “Now it’s a matter of hiring the staff and getting everybody trained properly for the breakfast items. We hope to have that going in February.”

Junior Luke Stokes said he does not eat at Chick-fil-A often because he rarely visits The Commons.

“Plus, they don’t do combos so it costs me more to eat at the Chick-fil-A on campus instead of going down the street to another Chick-fil-A,” Stokes said. “But, I like Chick-fil-A’s breakfast and will probably eat breakfast at Chick-fil-A on campus.”

The Sodexo team expressed their excitement about the breakfast addition to UNA’s Chick-fil-A.

“I think breakfast will do us well. People really like Chick-fil-A overall,” said Sodexo operations manager Gwen Burney.

Junior Grace Ratliff said she usually eats breakfast on campus one to two times per week.

“I usually eat breakfast at Starbucks or Einstein’s, but I will definitely add Chick-fil-A to the mix,” Ratliff said.

The Sodexo team said they are pleased with the revenue from The Common’s first year of operation.

“We all are pleased with both implementation and execution on campus,” said Sodexo District Manager Brad McNeely.

Revenue for UNA’s campus dining are up overall, but the GUC has been affected by the addition of Starbucks and Chick-fil-A.

GUC revenue is down 32 percent, but sales are up 20 percent overall when you add in the Starbucks and Chick-fil-A sales, Kinkead said.

Burney said any further advancements to the dining offerings in the GUC are to be determined.

“We hoped we could get more business in the summer but summer school is not well-attended on campus,” Kinkead said. “We did actually have a lot of non-students here, which is good.”

Sodexo plans to continue to broaden Chick-fil-A’s menu as they are able, but ice cream will likely not become an addition to Chick-fil-A due to Frostbite, Kinkead said.

“Starbucks has everything that any full-fledged Starbucks would have,” said Kinkead. “Anything that they come out with, we will hopefully do for the most part.”

Kinkead said Starbucks and Chick-fil-A, “both great companies,” are valuable additions to campus.

He said he expects the success of The Commons will remain on track with continued student support.