UPC to host health fair Nov. 24

In an effort to raise awareness about the health of college students, specifically sexually transmitted diseases, UPC will host a health fair noon to 3 p.m. Nov. 24 in GUC Banquet Halls A and B.

Students can also get information about staying active and healthy when days can be long and stressful and the temptation rises to eat unhealthy food.

“It is an event where people can come have fun (and participate in) health activities,”said Jonathan Barnett, chairman of UPC’s Culture and Education Committee. “We will have jump rope contests, a double-dutch contest and a hula-hoop contest.”

He said students can also take a dive down an inflatable slide.

UPC approved $3,200 for the event at its Nov. 3 meeting.

Barnett said the event started as a plan to give UNA students a chance to be tested for sexually transmitted diseases that commonly affect college students, but it later grew to include other health awareness aspects.

The Alabama Department of Public Health Division Two out of Huntsville will provide free STD testing during the event.

The tests will be conducted in a separate room to provide privacy to those who take advantage of the free screenings, Barnett said.

He said free food will be provided for all students.

Students can also get free Trojan and Skyn non-latex condoms at the event, he said.

He said when Freshman Forum gave out the condoms from Bennett Infirmary last year, students did not take them because students on campus do not use Lifestyle condoms.

“I would rather invest in things that have a better chance of making it to the bedroom,” he said.

Junior Kahri Bolden said he does not think students typically use the condoms provided by University Health Services, but not because they are of poor quality.

“I think students typically don’t use them because there is not a discrete way of getting them from University Health Services,” said Bolden.

Bolden did say that the university has good intentions in having condoms available for students.

UPC delegate Yasmin Carthen said the event is important for improving campus health.

There was some concern about passing (the bill to fund the event) because it was such a late notice, but we’re in college,” Carthen said. “We do everything at the last minute. It will be a good event to bring to a campus, and it’s something I’ve never seen here.”

Freshman Katherine Tuck-Logan said she thinks the health fair is an overall good idea.

“Students may feel more open to come to the health fair than going to a doctor for health screenings,” Tuck-Logan said. “Not to mention students love food and are always competitive with each other. It makes something serious fun.”