Freshman Forum getting set to kick off year’s events

Freshman Forum members raise their hands to vote at their Oct. 8 meeting as Vice President Noah Tidmore takes a count. The Forum is working to finalize plans on events for the remainder of the school year.

Freshman Forum hosted its annual retreat Oct. 7 to plan the upcoming year of campus events it will host.

The Forum is a branch of SGA designated to represent the freshmen class as its advocate and voice with university officials.

Freshman Forum President Eric Busby said the group established goals to become more noticeable on campus and to plan more events for freshmen to attend.

“Obviously what they are planning on events not only will inform students, but also entertain them through the education pathway,” said SGA Senate Freshman Forum Adviser Maurice Mull.

To begin better marketing for the organization and its events, the group plans to purchase banners, tables, tents, and other items that can be used in the years to come, Busby said.

The Forum’s first event will be a freshman mixer hosted later this fall, he said.

Freshman Victoria Montgomery and Elisha Crandall said they think social events help first-year students find friends on campus.

“It’s nice that the Freshman Forum is actually planning events for us because some schools leave the freshmen hanging,” Montgomery said. “It’s a great chance to meet new people and to go out make friends.”

Crandall said students should get involved in events the organization plans.

Busby said the Forum will also host a Puppy Palooza event at the end of each semester.

“Puppy Palooza is where we team up with the local animal shelter and bring puppies and kittens to the campus,” he said. “This give students opportunities of volunteering service hours and to relax from stress during finals week this fall and spring.”

He said he hopes the event will be an even bigger success than it was last year.

“It’s very good that Freshman Forum is planning events for us,” said freshman Marcus Taylor. “It helps you get more involved on campus.”

Busby said the Forum also plans to host a seminar to address student concerns about safety on campus.

Freshman Caleb Lewis said he wanted to be involved in the university when he came to UNA, so he joined Freshman Forum.

“I didn’t want to be someone who goes through college for four years, has no idea, and just comes here and leaves, “Lewis said. “I want to be invested in the university.”

He said he thinks Freshman Forum members have “a lot of really cool ideas,” which will get students who are not involved on campus start getting involved.

Freshman Nisha Trammel said the organization is teaching her to become a better leader, and she is growing as a person.

Mull said over the next few weeks the organization will set final dates, times and locations for its events, so it will have time to market them to students.

Mull and Busby said they are proud of what the Forum has accomplished so far, and they are looking forward to what the rest of the year holds.