Homecoming bonefire to be hosted off campus

One of the Student Government Association’s goals for the year is building campus traditions and spirit.

Members of Senate and UPC’s Spirit Committee say they are working to achieve this goal by hosting the Ignite the Pride homecoming bonfire Oct. 2 from 8-10 p.m.

The event will be held at Camp Westmoreland, located near Shoal Creek, about a 15-minute drive from campus, said SGA Treasurer Adam McCollum, who organized the event.

SGA hopes this event will become an annual tradition for the student body, McCollum said.

“One of the things people miss the most about high school is the homecoming bonfire,” he said. “This is an opportunity to bring passion and tradition to the university.”

The event’s location could make it hard for students to attend, said Junior Zachary Hurst.

“It is slightly inconvenient being off campus, but I would go if I was not already committed that Friday,” Hurst said.

McCollum said liability concerns prompted university officials to require the event be held off campus.

He encouraged students to utilize campus buses that will be available to transport students to and from Camp Westmoreland.

The buses will leave Rivers Hall at 20-minute intervals between 7 p.m. and 7:40 p.m., he said.

For students who choose to drive, directions to the camp can be found on SGA’s website.

There will be free T-shirts, a s’more bar, a hot chocolate bar, and a cornhole competition, McCollum said.

“We want to encourage every student to come out and support this new tradition so it can continue to grow in the future,” he said.

Junior Kaihlynd Ogle said she will likely attend the event with her friends.

“It will be a good time to socialize and meet new people,” Ogle said.

Freshman Victoria Woods said although she cannot attend the event, she believes it will be a great environment for students.

“Getting people who don’t know each other together in a great environment is a good thing,” Woods said.

McCollum said members of the UNA Reserve Officer’s Training Corps and the UNA police department will provide security for the event, and the Lauderdale County Volunteer Fire Department will also be on site.

SGA has also taken out an insurance policy for the event, he said.

There are no “immediate safety or security concerns,” said UNA Police Chief Bob Pastula.

Even with extensive preparation, McCollum said he realizes, “This will be a learning experience, and we will take what we learn to improve next year.”

Senate and UPC have not finalized all cost analysis of the bonfire yet.

So far the organizations have spent $1,100 on the event.

$300 provides a donation to the volunteer fire department, and $800 for admission to Camp Westmoreland.

McCollum said the $800 pays for 400 students’ admission to the camp.