New group welcomes creative writers

There are a variety of organizations one can join at UNA, although few are geared specifically toward students with a passion for creative writing.

Thanks to freshman Jasmine Joiner, students can now participate in the unique writing opportunity King Authors Society.

When Joiner first arrived here in spring 2014, she said, she quickly realized there were no organizations on campus she was interested in.

“At first, I considered joining a theater troupe and then a film group,” she said. “Writing, however, was what came easiest to me. With writing I wouldn’t have to struggle and also balance my classes.”

Joiner said she brought the idea to start the group to her English professor at the time and spent the spring semester and summer finalizing her plans.

“My goals for this group is to bring people together who can meet on an artistic level because it’s really hard to find people who enjoy writing,” she said. “I wanted to create that environment and make it safe for people to express that skill or that hobby.”

King Authors Society does not discriminate based on majors.

“Even if you don’t want to pursue it as a career, you can come and write,” Joiner said. “We do writing exercises, but we also try to provide opportunities for if you want to be published.”

Joiner said she wants the organization to feel like a support group.

“You get feedback and support because writers are secretly egotistical and want feedback,” she said.

The turnout at the interest meeting and later emails indicate King Authors Society will do well, Joiner said.

Sophomore Colton McCormick was one of the ten attendants of the first meeting.

“Even though I’m interested in writing, I have trouble making time or finding motivation to write,” he said. “When I heard about this group, I thought it would be a good chance to meet other writers and have a space to talk about writing in general and our projects.”

King Authors Society will give students a chance to gain knowledge about opportunities with writing and publishing, said freshman Ambreia McDaniel.

“I hope it teaches me how to write properly,” she said. “I want to have more involvement with people who are either too scared to join the club or don’t have the time.”

Currently, Joiner does not plan on registering King Authors Society as an RSO. She said she hopes the group will have a solid foundation before making that step. However, she said in the meantime she has a range of ideas for the club.

“I had thought of doing writing competitions similar to the tournaments during King Arthur’s period,” Joiner said. “The competitions would be either just amongst the group or we could look for outside competitions.”

Joiner said she is considering applying for a booth at the Renaissance Fair in Wilson Park, in an effort to bring in new members.

“There was a suggestion from Dr. Richards that since we have the King Arthur allusion that we should participate in the Renaissance,” she said. “We would also have monthly pamphlets ready that have excerpts from the group’s writing.”

While some people believe creative writing only constitutes as fiction or poetry, any style or genre is welcome in this group, she said.

“Anybody who just wants to write is welcome,” Joiner said. “We want to make this a good place for anyone who doesn’t write as much as they want to, to come in give them that push and support they would need. I don’t want to limit the choices, because we might be missing out on some great talent.”