SRC renovations provide $49,000 worth of new equipment

The fitness center has moved from the second floor to the first floor of the SRC, creating more space for students to workout. The SRC also replaced the old work out equipment with brand new equipment.

The Student Recreational Center underwent a renovation to expand the fitness center and replace the old workout equipment with about $49,000 worth of new equipment.

The fitness center now has more room after its move to the first level of the SRC while also taking space in the World of Wings dining area.

“We basically wanted to make more space for the fitness center,” said Director of the SRC James Eubanks. “We’re gaining about 800 – 1,000 square feet with the renovation.”

Instead of having multiple entrances to the SRC there will now only be one way for students to enter. This entrance will be on the second floor, but there will be an exit on both the first and second floors. Students will now swipe their cards once and be able to go wherever they need to, Eubanks said.

Junior Nathan Richardson said the amount of space for working out had been a problem for him in the past.

“It was way too crowded when I went before,” Richardson said. “But I’m excited for the new expansion. More space is a big deal.”

The SRC will still have all the same type of machine exercises except for the TRX (suspension training) machine. Students will also see an addition of new workout devices, Eubanks said.

“We now have a glute machine and a different version of the abs machine,” he said. “Some of the machines are dual exercise machines so instead of two different machines, it will just be one.”

Eubanks said getting the new machines was important because they will replace the old ones, which had been there for 12 years.

“Technology with these machines is different than they were 12 years ago,” he said.

He said to block the smell of the food on the first level, a glass wall will be built to separate the fitness center from WOW.

With the fitness center moving downstairs, the second level will gain a half-court for basketball, and the other side of the court will be used for badminton, Eubanks said.

“Getting the half-court back will help accommodate with the growing basketball crowd,” he said.

Eubanks said because the SRC gained the half-court back they will allow full-court games from 3-7 p.m. on court two. It was previously not permitted.