Opening dates set for science building and residence halls

Construction of two new residence halls begin late July. The two buildings are located on the north portion of campus between Pine and MattieLou streets.

As the fall semester commences students will notice apparent changes on campus with the construction of three new buildings — a science building and two residence halls.

The projected opening date for the new science building is Jan. 18, 2015, with a move-in date staged in March, said Facilities Administration and Planning Director Michael Gautney.

“The original completion date was Dec. 23, but rain pushed us to January,” Gautney said.

He said construction of the building, designed to give faculty and students more space, began in May.

“One of the main things it will do is give us a lot more room,” said biology professor Paul Kittle. “That is one of the main concerns with (Floyd) is just the lack of space. Being in a new space will just be a better experience for the students.”

Upon completion, the building will be inspected before anyone can officially move in, Gautney said.

“Because it’s the middle of the semester, we have to meet and set a move in date so we don’t disrupt the classes,” Gautney said.

Students will also notice the construction site on the north lot of campus near Pine and MattieLou streets for the new dorms. One of the buildings is expected to open Fall 2015 and the second Spring 2016, said Vice President for Student Affairs David Shields.

The first opening date is set to correlate with the implementation of a freshman live-on requirement that will take effect in the fall, Sheilds said.

The rooms are a modern upgrade to the current Rice, Rivers and LaGrange dorms with features including more space and a bathroom in each room.

Shields said because the current residence halls will remain open, the possibility of a delayed opening date will not leave students without a place to live.

“We’ve only been in the project for two and a half weeks and everything seems to be going right on track,” he said.

He said university officials and contractors meet every week to provide construction updates. The construction team should know by early spring if the projected completion date will be met.

“There are penalties if they don’t finish, including paying for student housing, but we don’t anticipate that occurring,” Gautney said.