Success Center aims to assist new freshmen

In order to increase UNA’s retention rate, or the amount of students who return to school each year, the University Success Center will introduce the First-Year Experience Program in fall 2014. The program consists of three major components meant to increase freshmen academic success and encourage them to continue on their academic paths.

“The university has an average of about a 70 percent retention rate,” said Robert Koch, director of the university success center. “We are average compared to peer institutions of the same size.”

One key element of the program is the seminar, which can be taken alone as the FYE seminar or paired with other classes in a learning community. There will be 44 seminar sections offered in the fall, Koch said.

“There are five sections of health, fitness and fun,” Koch said. “There are also sections on globalization, pop culture and social etiquette, among other topics.”

Being involved in the FYE Program seminars will help students feel comfortable in asking for help when they need it, freshman Alan Ayers said.

“I think if you can get help from the same students or see familiar faces, you’re more likely to ask for help,” he said. “You’ll have a higher probability of succeeding when you have that connection with other people in your class.”

Learning communities, which pair one or two core classes with a seminar so students have classes together, are another component of the program, Koch said.

Learning communities are an asset to anyone who takes them, said sophomore Megan Gordon.

“The two teachers that did my learning community sort of worked together as a team to help us,” Gordon said. “It was a lot easier when it came to talking to my professors and a lot of your success in the classroom comes from being able to talk to your professors. A lot of people have trouble transitioning from high school to college — learning communities can really help with that.”

The last element of the program, Beacon, is a new software used to help track students’ progress, Koch said.

“You’ll take a short survey which really asks what your habits are and what your strengths and weaknesses are as a student,” Koch said. “Over the course of the first semester, we’re going to add in grades from the first semester and attendance. By doing this, we’re going to know more about where you are and if you’re at any academic risk.”

Although the FYE program is not required of fall 2014 freshmen, it should be considered a priority and will be mandatory fall 2015, Koch said.