Director offers tips when selecting major

For college freshmen, choosing a major can be difficult. However, Career Planning and Development, located in GUC Room 202, is available to all students to help make the decision easier.

“(A college major) gives you direction,” said Melissa Medlin, director of career planning and development. “Education is great and knowledge is wonderful, but you have to have a plan.”

Students should choose college majors as soon as they can, Medlin said.

“I would say (students should decide a major) at least by the end of their freshman year if not by the end of the first semester of their sophomore year because there are so many academic programs that require certain courses not required by other programs,” she said. “The earlier you choose your major and stick with it, the less likely you’re going to (add on) courses.”

Undecided freshmen might want to try looking at electives for direction, said freshman Tyler Putt.

“Take some general education classes here and there,” Putt said. “Whatever ones come easiest and flow the best for you, just stick with them.”

However, freshmen should not pick a major for the sake of being decided, Medlin said.

“Freshmen don’t need to open the catalog and choose a major or throw the cards on the floor and pick one up and choose it,” she said. “It’s a very specific process. It’s a decision-making process and it’s an investigative process.”

After changing her major from education to geography, senior Kayleigh Bonee said she found the right fit.

“At the time I changed my major, geography was one of the fastest-growing job opportunities out there. So, I figured why not get into something I can actually use,” Bonee said. “Don’t go with something that you’re going to be bored with the rest of your life. Do what you like. Like what you do.”

When choosing a major, look for one that will provide the necessary tools to successful, Medlin said.

“What you’re choosing is a course of study that is going to provide you with knowledge, skills and abilities,” Medlin said. “The way that you apply those can vary. It may or may not be part of the traditional pathway of a particular academic course of study.”

If students have trouble choosing a major, Career Planning and Development offers assessments, career counseling and opportunities to see videos of professionals in careers they are considering, Medlin said.