Shoals area music signals diversity, variety

Like music? Welcome to The Shoals.

What is “The Shoals” you ask?

Let’s just say it’s a trendy phrase to brand this area of Alabama. The truth is, most of the music that makes the area famous (and it is very famous) was recorded at Fame Studios in nearby Muscle Shoals.

The heyday of what is known as the Muscle Shoals Sound has come and gone (because classic soul music, like all good genres, has had its day) but the sound itself lives on. Many of the musicians and record producers of the time, such as Alabama Music Hall of Fame Inductees David Hood and Jimmy Johnson, still live in this area.

Whether you are an entertainment major hoping to make it big or a person who loves watching live bands, you’ve entered an atmosphere that can continue to nurture your tastes, if you know where to look.

That’s where I come in.

I am by no means the expert in music, but I do know what I like and have a general understanding of how this area’s music scene works. So, sit back, relax and let me give you a little overview on the “must-knows” of the Shoals.

The Campus Scene

There are at least two registered student organizations on campus that are known for putting on shows: the Entertainment Industry Students Association and the University Program Council (a branch of the Student Government Association). You may be interested  in joining these types of organizations in the future, so why not first check out what types of shows they put on?

There are essentially four main venues on campus where you could see a performance, though they all get used for a variety of other things.

The first is the amphitheater    — that big Greek thing with the pillars in the middle of campus. Most acts that play there are part of bigger RSO events going on.

The next is the GUC Performance Center — you were probably there at some point during your SOAR camp. UNA used to host talent shows there, but it usually serves as a presentation facility these days.

The next venue is Norton Auditorium. Most of your high-end shows like the alumni and spring concerts will be here. There is also the George Lindsey Black Box Theatre that connects to the building, but I did not see any acts perform there during my time on campus.

Last is the Mane Room, located on 122 W. Tombigbee St., just a few blocks from campus at the Department of Entertainment Industry building. It’s located next to Noiseblock, a high-end recording studio in the area. This is a relatively newplace but they use it often for a variety of acts. Of the university venues I’ve discussed, this is the one most worth visiting (being used by community members and students alike).

Downtown Florence

It’s amazing how much variety can be offered in just four square blocks, but that’s the case with downtown.

For starters, we have Rivertown Coffee Co., located on Seminary Street. Although they may host the occasional acoustic show or music event, this is not a venue so much as a great place to hang out with people. For our purposes, it is important to know Rivertown’s windows are covered with information about shows to be held around town. The store also sells CDs from a variety of local artists, many of whom work in or visit the shop regularly.

Pegasus Records, a thriving music store located on Tennessee Street, is where you can find new and used albums. The store also houses a popular venue where shows of all shapes and sizes take place. You can catch anything at Pegasus from hardcore to soul and folk — sometimes all in the same weekend. Consider this place and Rivertown to be the diving boards from which you can jump into the Shoals music scene.

Local Music

There’s so much to offer here and so many great acts to check out, I’ll just name a few of my personal favorites in no particular order.

The Swampers

In the days of the Muscle Shoals Sound, these are the guys who would make it happen. As a result, many of them have their own bands or play frequently in the area. You never know when or where so just pay attention.

The Secret Sisters

Not sure if these ladies qualify as local, per se, but they are from the area and are known to play the occasional show in the Shoals. They are on the soundtrack to the first Hunger Games movie and their music in general is fantastic.

St. Paul and the Broken Bones

Call them soul, call them ska, call them rock — they just want you to call them. Most of these guys are from Birmingham but they are signed to a local recording label called Single Lock Records, meaning they play in the area often.

Follow Apollo

Simply put, these guys rock. They are young, energetic and possess an electrifying sound that your college-aged ears are going to love.

The Bear

Also known as my favorite band in Florence. What started as a husband and wife duo has become one of the finest folk outfits in the area. Their sound is best-defined as eerie.

Belle Adair

My next favorite band in Florence. These guys are great live and their record “The Brave and the Blue” is easily in my top 10. Buy the album locally and keep an eye out for these boys.

Jordy Searcy

A local student and songwriter who is incredibly talented. While Jordy is a close personal friend, I recommend his music to you as an objective observer of a developing artist that you need to watch.

Rachel Wammack

She is the outgoing recording artist for UNA’s student-run record label, Singing River Records. Wammack is a highly gifted songwriter with an old soul that is best displayed in a pop format.

J. Forgiven

Kyle Jefferson performs Christian rap frequently with his band of UNA students. A Lion himself, J. Forgiven can be found performing at various churches and university functions.