Enjoy college, step outside comfort zone

Freshmen, transfer and all incoming students: welcome to the University of North Alabama. Yes, we have real lions on campus but, even better, we have academic programs designed specifically with you in mind. Throughout my three years here as a student, I have received nothing but a plethora of knowledge from professors, peers and authoritarians on campus who strive to push every student to excellence.

This year as Editor-in-Chief of The Flor-Ala and the first ever The Roar-Ala, I want to give a warm welcome to those eager to seek an education. Don’t worry — your first, second or third choice of major may not be in the field you wish to pursue. But, the finest quality of this university is the flexibility of class scheduling and persistence of professors and staff to make sure your dream is achieved. Bottom line, you made the right choice coming to UNA.

As a freshman and sophomore, I aspired to have a lasting career. However, I was leery about the academic path I wanted to take and uncertain about what to get involved in, so I refrained from joining any organizations. This led to my biggest and most regrettable college mistake. I missed out on two entire years of building friendships and having the fun “college experiences” I craved.

Avoid making the mistake I so blatantly did. Try stepping outside your comfort zone and relishing in moments you never thought you would experience. My best example to illustrate is having a best friend (now the Managing Editor of The Flor-Ala) who hated me the very first time we met. We were completely unaware of our unlike personalities, but our relationship evolved from a friendship to a best friendship in no time. Finding your fit may be challenging, but trust me when I say you will be glad you did.

When your stress levels start rising — and they will — just remember Taco Bell and McDonald’s are around the corner. Florence is home to a bowling alley, a skating rink and a mall. Take that break your brain is nudging you in the side for. Find your outlet of comfort and use it when those papers and projects are piling on. Most importantly, enjoy the next four years of your life.