Indifference poisons student potential

I’m going to cut to the chase. As I look toward the future (in which I will soon graduate), I find myself somewhat concerned. 

It’s the Thursday after spring break, and regardless of the shape we’re in, all students know that the end of spring break means looking forward to the end of the semester. 

During this hectic time, students work to finish strong while preparing for the summer and beyond. 

“Beyond” is where my concern lies.

This concern is not for my own future, but the future of students who remain at UNA. I believe certain fears of mine may be coming true: that many students are settling for indifference when they could be striving for excellence.

The majority of students recently committed this crime of indifference by choosing to not participate in elections for the Student Government Association. 

In the election, the members of the SGA executive committee — students who have the potential to be some of the most powerful on campus and in the community — were elected by a total of 311 student votes. 

Whether or not you consider this number small (like I certainly do), I feel it may be important to compare it to voting numbers in years past. 

On the bright side, this year’s results carry three more student votes than last year’s election. However, this is also noticeably less votes than in 2012 when 488 votes were recorded and in 2011 when 594 votes were recorded, according to previous articles from The Flor-Ala.

That means that three years ago, almost twice as many students were willing to participate in SGA elections.

This is sad because our lack of participation means we don’t understand why SGA is important. 

Honestly, the power these students have rivals that of some working individuals within the “real world.” 

Read the majority of stories and briefs we’ve run on SGA this year and you’ll find in depth accounts of how they’ve spent their time and money — hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that have gone into governing the campus, for better or for worse.

If students are hearing anything at all about the power this small group possesses, why on earth don’t they care? 

I think it’s part of a greater issue — an issue of the heart.

Yes, I find it appalling that so few of our students are involved in the democratic process of electing leaders, but I am sad to think that this indifference toward something with potential like SGA may reflect a greater apathy in the hearts of students toward making a difference.

In my experience, I have noticed a strong correlation between involvement in extracurricular activities (especially those within the campus community) and work ethic. The students who are active and pay attention to what’s going on around them tend to do better in school and in life.

I’d say this is important. We aren’t talking about the act of not voting now, we are talking about the heart issue of indifference.

Students need to realize what they do in college prepares them for the real world. The indifference they show toward their surroundings in college may be a reflection of the indifference in their souls that will lead to an apathetic life full of self-fulfillment. 

This is a life I want for none of my peers. 

I am graduating and my focus now has to shift to the outside world, but I hope that those students who remain at UNA will ponder this question. It could be life-changing.