Freshman Forum wraps up service goal with 2,620 hours

Freshman Forum has spent 2,620 hours in service to the university and surrounding community during the 2013-2014 school year, exceeded 1,830-hour goal.

The Forum set the goal of 1,830 community service hours to commemorate the university’s founding in the year 1830, said Freshman Forum Service Committee Chairperson Ericka Blackstock.

Throughout the year Freshman Forum has participated in a variety of service projects. During the spring semester, the Forum decided to hold one service activity during the months of March, February and April, Blackstock said.

Freshman Forum members held a dance party at a local nursing home and spent the day with residents, visited the Florence Lauderdale Animal Shelter, where they were able to take all the dogs out and walk them and held a community Easter egg hunt for kids 12 and under, she said.

“Our service projects have been a really big success,” said Freshman Forum President Carson Hagood. “As a whole we went above and beyond expectations.”

“I’m just proud to have been the advisor for such an amazing group of individuals, said Freshman Forum Adviser Brittany Jordan. “Exceeding their service goal just goes to show that hard work pays off. Teamwork is key to a successful year in the Forum.”

The goal of 1,830 service hours was set at the beginning of the school year to commemorate the university’s establishment in the year 1830, Blackstock said.

The Forum has not stopped planning events for the year yet, she said.

It will host a glow party for the campus community Wednesday, April 30 in the GUC Performance Center, said Social Committee Chair Parrish Tuggles.

“This is a way for students have fun before exams start,” Tuggles said.