Letter to the Editor — Wanted: Student’s Opinions on 8-5-5-5 Resolution

Skyler Mansell

This Thursday, April 9th Senate will begin debating on a proposed resolution written by the Budget Oversight Committee to increase the Student Activity Fee gradually from the current $27 and capping off in the Spring semester of 2016 to $50. The gradual increase would begin in the Fall of 2014 with an $8 increase and then a $5 increase the following three semesters excluding Summers.

The proposed increase stems from research conducted by the Budget Oversight Committee which compiled a list of 13 universities of a comparable size to UNA and examined each school’s Student Activity Fee. UNA was found to have the lowest fee on the list. This fact is not necessarily a good thing; this information means that UNA is not able to compete with the other universities due to our current allocations and programming budgets. 

Although fee increases are not necessarily wanted, they are essential in keeping our university thriving and competitive. Do you, the students want to invest $23 more dollars into campus life and into student organized activities? Is the investment of your money worth the visible and tangible benefits from increasing the fee?

Imagine the benefits that could come from this investment. An increase could mean an extra $100,000 more dollars for the Budget Oversight Committee to allocate, which could supply 25 more fully funded events for students. Can you imagine 25 more Caffeine High or Casino Night type events? For the University Program Council this investment could bring the ability to bring a big name artist to the Spring Concert and multiply the number of weekly and monthly events.

While I and my fellow committee members on the Budget Oversight Committee are personally in favor of this proposed resolution, we each represent 240 students with various opinions and insights. We encourage students to reach out to senators and give us your opinions before the upcoming debate this Thursday. Feel free to stop by the Student Government Association office in the GUC at any time and let your voice be heard!