Setting priorities remains essential to student life

We’ve all been there — every semester there is that class where one student decides the workload is too much. They decide they should let the professor know and do so in a public dispute during class, sometimes in jest, pulling helpless classmates to aid in the battle.

They might say, “I have a research project in one class, and a paper in another and I have to work as soon as I leave class…” hoping the professor will realize how tough that student’s life is that semester and make all mandatory coursework optional.

It’s understandable students sometimes have it rough. I can say I’ve had my fair share of ups and downs just in this semester alone. And sometimes those ups and downs require us to spend a little more time prioritizing our lives. Working is often essential to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads.

What I don’t understand is expecting other people — specifically professors  — to change everything or pull extra weight for you. I don’t understand students who think the professor is obligated to completely alter the syllabus just for them.

While professors should be responsive to students’ needs and the variety of ways in which students learn, part of the learning experience is scheduling time for classwork, prioritizing your life and taking responsibility for yourself when that plan goes awry. That’s life.

It seems like students often put themselves and their troubles in a bubble. They think they are alone and the only one experiencing those issues.

And sometimes there are exceptions. Sometimes there are legitimate unplanned life situations that deserve greater understanding and leniency.

Those are the times where the student should sit down with the professor and let them know they are struggling. They should let the professor know they want to learn and find out what they can do to stay on track or pick back up.

But when students are stressed because they also have work, another class or have weekly meetings in a couple of organizations, those are responsibilities that come with being a student. Those are the responsibilities that could have been addressed at the beginning of the semester and planned for.

I can only imagine being a professor and getting an email from a student the night before an assignment is due asking questions that were answered in a class the student was not present in three weeks earlier. I think I would be frustrated beyond belief if the answer to those questions were in the syllabus. I would try and be understanding about their predicament but that’s what it is — theirs.

While there is the occasional professor, or method of teaching that I don’t agree with, I sympathize with those professors who are expected to take on the burdens of every student and change their own work to benefit someone who ‘just doesn’t have time for class.’

Those professors deserve respect. And when they do sympathize and offer extension or extra help, students should be appreciative.

“Well, I am paying their salary so I deserve one-on-one treatment” or “It’s not like it is more work for them. They probably won’t even look at the assignment anyway.” Those arguments aren’t grounds for expecting professors to create dozens of personalized plans for each student based on their current workload.

As I’ve said before, prioritizing and sometimes re-prioritizing should be the student’s main objective. How students deal with the challenges they are faced with, the difficulties that come with life — that is learning.