Diversity Day brings new perspectives on inclusion to campus

The Office of Diversity and Institutional Equity will be hosting its first UNA Diversity Education Day Monday, April 14. ‘Turning Our Differences into Strengths’ is the theme of the event.

The events are open to all of the UNA community as well as outside attendants, with some events focused mainly on faculty, said Joan Williams, director of diversity and institutional equity.

“The students and employees in our community are diverse, and the workshop is being offered to equip our employees with the tools necessary to create an inclusive working and learning environment, which strengthens our institution,” Williams said. “(This is) a day dedicated to offering intentional educational opportunities focused on diversity, inclusion and cultural competence to increase understanding, respect and awareness.”

The events go from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will primarily be located in banquet halls B and C of the Guillot University Center, Joans said.

“The day starts with an interactive diversity and inclusion workshop for faculty, staff and the community from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.,” Williams said. “We are bringing in Dr. Derek Greenfield from Alcorn State University to facilitate the workshop. Individuals who will attend the training should register at www.una.edu/diversity.”

From 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in Banquet Hall C, students can learn more about studying abroad, Williams said.

“There will be the Study Abroad Education Day session with Laura Lopez, Abril Agnew, Rachel Gandy and Ronnie Green,” Williams said. “They are students who will share information about their recent study abroad experiences and offer students an opportunity to engage in discussion about their cultural experience. This event is a partnership with the Office of International Affairs.”

From 12:15 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., there will be two sessions on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender perspectives moderated by UNA faculty, Williams said.

“In Banquet Hall B there will be a GLBT panel discussion entitled, ‘GLBT Perspectives through the Professional Lens,’” Williams said. “There will also be a GLBT panel discussion entitled, ‘GLBT Perspectives through the Family Lens.’ We are excited to have some very exciting panelist from Florence, Birmingham, Huntsville and UNA faculty, staff and students to share their knowledge, expertise and personal experiences.”

From 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., there will be activities specifically to educate students on diversity, including workshops by the Auburn University Mosaic Theatre Company, Williams said.

“The primary purpose of MTC is to foster dialogue about diversity through performance,” Williams said. “The Auburn MTC will perform original works of theatre that interrogate current issues of diversity with the intention of creating alliances. They will then lead a workshop for students interested in learning how to create this type of performance.”

Diversity education day is a good idea, but it might not make much of a difference, said junior Derek Keasling.

“I think people are still going to have their underlying values of how they treat other people or how they interact with other people,” Keasling said. “If people go to the program, that’s great. I hope they get something from it. I’m just not sure if people will become more open to diversity after attending it.”

Diversity education doesn’t seem like a problem for UNA, said Roachel Herwick, a senior.

“I think that everyone is very accepting on this campus,” Herwick said. “I haven’t seen any issues in this area, but education can’t do anything but help. I wouldn’t say we specifically need it but it might help different groups interact together better.”