Why should students care about Florence?

After graduation, students will begin seeking employment, which can take them all over the world. However, students might want to consider Florence as a viable option in which to enter the job market.

How does Florence’s job market compare to other cities?

Florence’s unemployment rate is well below the state and national averages and the cost of living is low as well, said Barry Morris, Florence city councilman for district four.

“Consider what it would be like spending a few days in Atlanta,” Morris said. “They have a much higher cost of living, there’s a maze of traffic and crime is much worse. Florence provides a relief from that so people here can visit places like Atlanta but have Florence to come back to.”

Will there be jobs in Florence for future college graduates?

“We’re looking to bring in more high tech jobs,” said Hermon Graham, Florence city councilman for district three. “With the creation of the new science building at UNA, we hope to have some engineering and technical classes as well to prepare students for the jobs we’re bringing here.”

There are many opportunities for students to find employment if they stick around Florence, said Matt Davis, Edward Jones investment broker and 2006 UNA alumnus.

“Eighty percent of the business I receive comes from the community,” Davis said. “Job opportunities are definitely growing in the area.”

Sophomore Michalia Lewis said Florence does have many job opportunities, just not for the specific field she wants to enter.

“I am working on becoming a nurse practitioner,” Lewis said. “Florence does have plenty of opportunities for nurse practitioners, but I want to be a neonatal nurse practitioner and Florence doesn’t offer many jobs in that field.”

Can graduates become entrepreneurs as well?

Michelle Jones, a 2005 graduate, said she and her husband will be opening the first microbrewery in Florence, called Singin’ River Brewing Company, on March 21.

“We decided to open a brewery in Florence because we saw a niche that wasn’t (being) filled,” Jones said. “We will be in local restaurants and bars (March 21), and we hope to have our tasting room open by the end of April.”

After graduating from UNA in 1994, Keith Collier Jr. said he was able to open two businesses in Florence – Valley Fixtures Inc. and a public accountancy firm.

“Opening two businesses in Florence has been much better that I could have ever expected,” Collier Jr. said. “I think it would have been harder in a bigger city. If you look at Florence, you’ll see that new businesses are opening every year, and that’s because this is one of the best places to open them.”

Florence already has so many established businesses, said Josh Keel, a sophomore.

“I came to school at UNA for the commercial music program,” Keel said. “I want to open my own recording studio, so I would probably have to leave the area since Florence is already known for that.”

What are some tips for future graduates?

Whether graduates will be job hunting or creating their own employment, they should begin networking now with local leaders and business owners, Jones said.

“Networking can (play) a huge role in finding employment,” Jones said. “A friend’s step mom was the CEO of the Nashville BBB (Better Business Bureau), and she encouraged me to get involved and to hand deliver my resumes. Her advice helped me find my first job out of college at a Fortune 500 commodities trading company.”