Senators consider revising application process for future SGA legislators

SGA Senators tabled legislation that would eliminate the requirement for Senate applicants to obtain 240 student signatures as part of the application process.

If the bill is passed by two-thirds vote of the Senate body, applicants will be required to submit a resume, formal application and two letters of recommendation from UNA faculty members.

Sen. Patrick O’Kelley, co-author of the bill, said obtaining signatures from students is not serving its intended purpose.

“The 240 signatures isn’t representing what it’s supposed to,” O’Kelley said. “The same students can sign the same person’s sheet several times.”

Sen. Jensen Joiner confirmed student signature sheets submitted by Senate applicants this year had the same signatures on them multiple times.

Signatures were also documented from historical figures such as George Washington, Joiner said.

Joiner also presented a sheet of signatures received with an application this year, saying, “This entire sheet looks forged,” because the signatures were in the same handwriting.

If Senate applicants are not required to obtain signatures from students, SGA would be loosing interaction with the student body, who it is supposed to represent, said

Sen. Brittany Leech.

“I like the resume and letter portion of the bill, but it takes out interaction with students,” Leech said.

Students get the opportunity to familiarize themselves with potential Senators when applicants obtain their signatures. And, those students will potentially know a member of Senate to discuss what they want to see happen on campus, said Sen. Jacob Ezell.

“If just one student recognizes a Senator from them getting signatures, it’s worth it,” Ezell said. “That way if they have a problem, they know somebody they can talk to about it.”

Sen. Jordan Graham said more research is needed before a vote is taken. The way other schools approach the application should be taken into consideration, he said.

The bill will be brought back to the Senate floor at the next meeting Thursday, April 24 at 3:30 p.m. in Room 200 of the GUC.