Radio station hits campus airwaves in spring of ‘15

After years of trying to bring a campus radio station to UNA, the dreams of two communications professors have come true.

Beginning in the spring of 2015, the newest radio station to hit the airwaves in the Shoals area will be housed in the Department of Communications. Department Chair Greg Pitts and Patricia Sanders, professor of communications, have pushed for this station since they began working for UNA.

“I am excited that we are finally seeing a long-time dream of mine for the department come to fruition,” Sanders said. “I have petitioned for it ever since I arrived on campus, which is almost 15 years ago.”

The station may renew campus interest in radio, said Jasmine Gurley, a freshman.

“I think it will be cool for people majoring in music or communications,” Gurley said. “It will give students something to listen to on the radio.”

Pitts began working for UNA in 2008 and has petitioned for a campus station since he began.

“This has been a true labor of love and to finally see it come together is pretty neat,” Pitts said.

Considering how radio has changed over the past 20 years, Pitts intends for the station to follow a more traditional format.

“Radio has become much more about the popular culture and less about the public service need and news,” Pitts said. “The stations fills in a much needed gap in radio.”

Although they are still assessing funding for the station, the professors will be repurposing equipment the university already owns and looking for grants to keep costs low, Pitts said.

The station will receive their frequency a low-power FM sector provided by the Federal Communications Commission, which will allow for a local broadcast range, he said.

“Since it is low-power, the radius that we hope it will cover will be 8 to 10 miles on 100 watts,” Pitts said. “You may be able to pick it up in the southern tip of Tennessee or in the eastern part of Mississippi, if you turn your dial right. It’s mainly going to cover thecampus and immediate metro.”

The station is going to be open to anyone who wants to participate, Pitts said.

“It’s just not limited to communications students,” he said. “It’s open to anyone who wants to learn about radio. You may say ‘Hey I want to be on the radio,’ or have an idea for a show. You can do that here, and you don’t have to be present. We can pre-record your shows and program them in. We want people who are willing to host and are committed.”

Sanders believes the radio station will be a great opportunity for students to learn the ins and outs of radio.

“This will give students an opportunity to develop skills in operations, management, sales, production, promotions and on-air announcing,” Sanders said. “There is nothing like practical application when it comes to learning about radio.”

The radio station will also be used as a classroom and will count towards credit for Communications Practicum. It will also serve as a training ground for students majoring in radio, television, and interactive media but will not be used as an internship credit opportunity.

“I think it will be a better way of advertising campus events to those in the community who may not know about things on campus,” said David Hughes, a sophomore.