Candidates discuss platforms for upcoming SGA elections

SGA Executive Committee Elections are rapidly approaching. This article may help students have a better idea of who the candidates are and what they stand for.

Students will be able to vote starting Monday, March 10 at 8 a.m. through Wednesday, March 12 at 6 p.m. Each day during the election, students will be able to vote in the atrium of Guillot University Center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

SGA will also be sending out an email with a link to allow students to vote online, said Jensen Joiner, chair of the SGA Elections Committee.

As SGA President, Kekoria Greer wants to focus on one of SGA’s current goals: building upon campus spirit and traditions.

“Building spirit on campus is something I’m passionate about and something students seem to be passionate about too,” Greer said. “If students enjoy their time here and if they want to be here, everything else will fall into place.”

Greer is currently working on creating a day-long spirit event for the student body.

Vice President of University Program Council candidate Daniel Thompson wants to see unity increased between the three branches of SGA.

“If all three SGA branches are united strongly, we can know we are working toward a common goal: to represent the students,” Thompson said.

Additionally, SGA will have a better connection to student organizations and to students in general. Having more people to work with better connects students to eachother, Thompson said.

Thompson hopes, if elected, he can help students see that SGA keeps them in mind, he said.

Nick Lang’s goal as Vice President of Senate is to develop a relationship between SGA members and students.

“I want students to be so comfortable with me that they’ll just walk up to me while I’m eating lunch in the GUC and say ‘Nick, I’m having a problem with something or I want to see something happen on campus. Will you get one of the senators to look into this or will you take this on?’”

If students are comfortable with Lang and the other senators, the senators will be more excited about serving students and students will be more interested in SGA, he said.

Parrish Tuggles, a candidate for secretary, wants more students on campus to understand what is going on within SGA, he said.

“I want to aid in getting students more involved with Orgsync to look at the minutes from each meeting and see what’s going on in SGA,” Tuggles said. “We can get more feedback from students if they know what we’re doing.”

Increasing campus spirit is also a priority on Tuggles’s agenda.

Sam Satterfield, also a candidate for secretary, takes accuracy and organization seriously, he said.

“My main thing is being responsible, organized and accurate,” Satterfield said. “The SGA secretary is responsible for keeping the minutes at meetings so they need to be as accurate as possible for students to read.”

Satterfield wants to share the meeting minutes with students using social media.

“Everything I’ve worked on in SGA so far has been about making us more responsible to students,” Satterfield said.

Adam McCollum, a candidate for treasurer, has been fundraising for a long time, he said.

“Finishing the SGA endowed scholarship fundraising is one of my main goals if I’m elected,” McCollum said.

Thanks to his experience as an Eagle Scout, McCollum knows how to raise money and be responsible with it, he said.

“Working at a credit union has given me experience handling money,” McCollum said. “So, I can do the best job at being SGA treasurer.”

Casey Childers, also a candidate for treasurer, wants to get students and organizations more involved in raising money for the endowed scholarship — one of the Treasurer’s responsibilities, she said.

“I would love to get involved with student organizations so we can get the funding for the endowed scholarship,” Childers said.

Childers also wants senators to talk to students more, she said.

Editor’s note: News Editor Pace Holdbrooks contributed to this report.