Organizations consider relocation possibilities in GUC

Stacks of boxes await transportation to the University Bookstore in The Commons. With spaces opening up within the GUC, some organizations are looking to relocate, although no plans are set in stone, said VP of Student Affairs David Shields.

With the bookstore and Listerhill Credit Union moving to the new Commons Building, plans are being made to fill the empty spaces left in the Guillot University Center.

“What we want to do with the old bookstore space is create the Student Engagement Center,” said Vice President of Student Affairs David Shields. “We want to try to locate all of the services and offices that support Student Engagement — the Office of Student Engagement, Greek Life (and) perhaps student government. Everyone will be in one central place.”

All moves are currently just a concept because officials designed a plan yet, Shields said.

“The first step, which is happening probably in the next week or so, is that key people will be sitting down with an architect and others to start looking at what’s possible in that space,” Shields said. “Once (the bookstore design) happens, then there will be more spaces that opens up in this building that other offices can move into if they need to.”

The Student Engagement Center is a great idea for students, said Tyler Thompson, assistant director for programming and Student Engagement.

“I think it would be great if we had the space to spread out,” Thompson said. “There isn’t a lot of space for students working on banners for their organizations. If we move to the bookstore space, we could have a place for supplies and a better located resource for students.”

Moving to the Student Engagement Center would help grow the connection between SGA and students, said Laura Giles, president of the Student Government Association.

“Although I will not be in office when the move occurs, I think it will be a great opportunity for SGA to move to this location,” Giles said. “I think there is a great benefit to having all of student life (and) engagement areas in one location so that students can access (them) all at one time.

I think SGA will find more student involvement by making the move to share an office with other areas of student engagement.”

Relocating the Student Engagement Center would be a smart decision, said Makayla Coleman, a freshman.

“Students would pass by there every time they go to check their mail,” Coleman said. “They would probably stop by there before or after. Or they might go into the Student Engagement Center before or after they eat.”

Whatever else gets moved into the GUC depends on what is freed up by the Student Engagement Center moving, Shields said.

“We need to create a new space for our code of conduct office,” Shields said. “ Career Planning and Development needs to grow and needs some additional space. We also want to find a spot for The Office of Diversity and Institutional Equity in the building.”

The old Listerhill Credit Union area will probably not be replaced by a new office, Shields said.

“One of the ideas we have for Listerhill is that we would like to perhaps expand behind Einsteins with some additional comfortable seating and TVs,” Shields said. “A lot of that stuff is going to stay, like the counters, so you can sit and work or eat.”

Having one space for multiple offices is convenient, said sophomore Darius Bankhead.

“I will probably stop by there at some point because there will probably have a lot going on,” Darius said. “With the different offices in one area, they will most likely have a lot for students to get involved with.”