Community gathers for ribbon cutting ceremony in The Commons

University and city officials prepare to cut the ribbon, officially opening The Commons.

University President William Cale declared The Commons officially open as students, faculty and community members watched the ribbon cutting in the building’s lobby March 3 at 3 p.m.

“I think one of the ways we find success is to find opportunity even in difficult times and that’s really what we did with this building,” Cale said.

Although the state of Alabama has been experiencing tough economic times, the university was able to refinance some of its debt to pay for The Commons, Cale said.

“This building is paid for and it emerge out of all that financial chaos,” Cale said.

Florence Mayor Mickey Haddock, Board of Trustees Vice Chairperson Marty Abrams, Shoals Chamber of Commerce President Steve Holt, and UNA graduate Robby Burdine, son of Alabama Rep. Greg Burdine also spoke at the event.

The Commons will yield a worthy return with time, said Board of Trustees Vice Chairperson Marty Abrams.

“We hope to achieve greater retention of our students here, make their academic experience here a success. (This) means when they come here, they leave with a degree,” Abrams said. “We think this building could be a vital key in the success of every single student that comes to our university.”

Although UNA impacts the city of Florence financially and economically, the most important thing is the quality of life in provides for students and community members, said Florence Mayor Mickey Haddock.

“I can assure you this building will enhance that quality of life each and every day,” Haddock said. “Thank you from the city of Florence.”