IT department keeps UNA surfing the web

University Information Technology Specialist Sarah Murray travels across the campus on her way to replace a computer. Student writer Veronica Lewis was allowed to shadow Murray for a few hours of her job.

For a college student, the phrase “computer problems” might cause a sore stomach and nausea. For the students who are on staff at The Flor-Ala, computer problems often mean serious stress.

In recent weeks, our staff has faced numerous computer problems and the university’s Information Technology (IT) Specialists have helped us every step of the way.

These experiences led us to wonder whom these IT supermen and women are. One such IT specialist volunteered her time, allowing us to learn about who she is and what she does every day.

On a bright Friday morning, I strolled the campus with IT specialist Sarah Murray.

A Massachusetts native, Murray has a degree in literature from Nyack College in Nyack, N.Y. She is currently earning her degree in computer information science at UNA, she said.

On this particular day, Murray’s first scheduled appointment was to replace a laptop with a desktop computer. She packed up her cart with the new monitor and tower, along with some extra wires, and set out on her way to Stevens Hall.

We spoke about her life and job as she worked to install the new computer.

While growing up in a family of ‘fix it yourselves,’ Murray wanted to know how things worked. Her second job after college with the Decatur Daily gave her the opportunity to do just that, she said.

“Being a copy editor, we worked nights while the computer guy worked days,” she said. “And one day, he decided to teach me.”

Within the offices of the Information Technology department, the specialists respond to work orders submitted by students and staff alike. There are times when problems arise in waves because of new updates that conflict with the existing servers and connections, Murray said.

“It is always busy,” Murray said. “When there are no work orders, there are computers that need replacing or computer labs that need updating.”

Although the official hours of the IT specialists are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. some workers may stay as late as 10 p.m. at to ensure their systems are up and running smoothly, Murray said.

The main job of the university of IT specialists is to maintain and improve upon the efficiency of technology used by the campus community, Murray said.

“When you need information right away and the connection (to get to the internet) is down, you become frustrated,” she said. “It’s my job to continue (to) fix things, improve things, so they work better so the user is productive. In the frustration (of computer trouble), it’s easy to forget we are doing what we can. Ultimately, our job—my job specifically, is to make their job easier.

With her work finished, I watched as Murray took the time to speak with the new users before moving on to her next task.