Officials delay opening The Commons until Feb. 24

Officials have decided to push the opening of The Commons back until Monday, Feb. 24. Weather problems could potentially push the opening date back further, said Project Manager Lee Handley.

“We’re shooting for (Feb. 24) and we believe we’re going to make it,” Handley said.

The university offices that have a space in the building will begin moving next week, starting with Student Financial Services, Handley said.

“We’re expecting to move next Wednesday and Thursday,” said Ben Baker, director of student financial services. “We hope to be open for business on the 24th.”

The office will try to keep a laptop and their phone line on so they can still assist students during their moving process, Baker said.

“Not everybody will be moved in (by Feb. 24),” Handley said. “It will probably take us a week to a week and a half to move everybody.”

The vendors residing on the first floor will move themselves in, Handley said.

Starbucks will open on time, although Chik-fil-A’s opening will be delayed until officials from the company are present for their opening on March 3, said Alan Kinkead, general manager of Sodexo Dining Services.

Listerhill Credit Union’s new space will also be open by Feb. 24, Handley said.

Frostbite will open at the same time as The Commons opens, said Mitch Wade, owner of the company.

The hours of the new dining options will be decided by the vendors, Handley said.

Editor’s note: For more information on building and moving delays, stick with The Flor-Ala. Student Writer Matt Wilson contributed to this report.