New Commons opening date officially set for Feb. 24

Officials have decided to push the opening of The Commons back until Monday, Feb. 24.

Weather problems could potentially push the opening date back further, said Project Manager Lee Handley.

“We’re shooting for it and we believe we’re going to make it,” Handley said.

Senior Jacob Chapman, a bookstore employee, hopes students remain patient while waiting for the building to be open.

“With a major construction project like this, it’s not surprising to me that delays happen,” Chapman said. “A single hiccup in the process can back up the whole job. Sometimes you just can’t make progress until certain things are in place.”

As of press time, Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, Frostbite and Listerhill Credit Union have moved into their new spaces within the building at their own discretion. Currently, the university offices that have a space in the building are in the process of moving.

While Starbucks will open on Feb. 24, Chick-fil-A’s opening will be delayed until officials from that company are able to be present for their opening on March 3, said Alan Kinkead, general manager of Sodexo Dining Services at UNA.

Junior Ashley White is ready for Chick-Fil-A to be open.

“I’m glad they’re taking so long, for quality’s sake, but my heart has been set on chicken minis every morning since the semester started,” White said. “So, my patience is wearing thin.”

The University Success Center also plans to be in their new space Feb. 24. Administrative assistants for the center will move during this week, while the rest of the staff will relocate on opening day, said Robert Koch, director of the Success Center.

“The move will happen so quickly it should not put us out of contact (with students) for more than a short period of time,” Koch said.

The Center for Writing Excellence will remain in it’s current location in the basement of Collier Library until the end of the semester, Koch said.

“Right now we don’t envision significant changes to our hours (upon moving to The Commons),” Koch said.

The new Listerhill branch location in The Commons will also mark the closing of the current branch in the Guillot University Center. The new branch will feature more space, two “charging bars,” a television, more space for tellers and a state-of-the-art ATM machine to be installed in April, Mashburn said.

“We are literally moving everything over (to the new location),” said Kristen Mashburn, Listerhill’s director of marketing. “The new branch is just as cool as our current branch. It will just be bigger and better.”

Senior Brian Sims understands the countless delays.

“I don’t mind the delay,” Sims said. “I want it to be successful from day one. No reason to rush it and be sloppy.”

Editor’s note: For more information on building and moving delays, stick with The Flor-Ala. Student Writer Matt Wilson contributed to this report.