UNA Commons opens, construction continues

Junior John Charles Crow and sophomore Katherine Albright sit in front of the new Starbucks store within The Commons Monday, Feb. 24.

The day has arrived, and The Commons is now open.

The air around The Commons building has been filled with excitement because of the opening, junior Cara Thornton said during The Commons’ opening day Feb. 24.

“We’ve heard good things (about the dining options in The Commons) so far and (students) are very excited,” Thornton said.

Sophomore Hunter Mitchell is excited about the layout of the building’s first floor.

“All the shops and stuff look really nice,” Mitchell said. “The bookstore looks like it is going to be a lot bigger than it was in the GUC. I like the way all of the places are set up and that Frostbite has it’s own little corner (and) The Hill is like the entire middle of the building.”

Mitch Wade, owner of Frostbite, was pleased with opening day.

“At this point (the opening has) been pretty smooth, I have no complaints,” Wade said. “We can’t take the Mane Card yet. Hopefully we will have that resolved either today or tomorrow, then we’ll be in good shape.”

Although The Commons is now open, students should still use caution and treat the area as a construction site, said Ben Baker, director of Student Financial Services.

“There is still work going on both inside and outside of this building,” Baker said. “Be aware that this is still an active construction project. There’s still work being completed so just be mindful of that.”

Weather permitting, landscaping around the building’s exterior should be finished within the next four weeks, said Project Manager Lee Handley.

On the upper floors, university staff members are still settling into their new space as building officials add the final touches to the offices, Handley said.

“There’s been a little bit of furniture that hasn’t been completed, but I think that’s all,” Handley said. “We have a few changes we’re making to things in the offices to make things flow better. The offices are functional — it’s just some stuff (the employees) wanted to change for their comfort.”

On the first floor, students were very excited to see the new dining services and the lower floor was packed for most of the day, Baker said.

“Starbucks looks very modern,” Thornton said. “It’s been very popular and has been very crowded today.”

While the environment of Starbucks is warm, the layout of the University Bookstore’s new location was the biggest surprise to Massey.

“I didn’t expect it to be this big,” Massey said. “I feel like I’m in a Books-A-Million or a Barnes and Noble.”

Students are anxiously awaiting the opening of Chick-fil-A Monday, March 3, said junior Clarissa Shackelford.

“I think students are happy, (but) they’ll be happier on Monday when Chick-fil-A opens,” Shackelford said.

Mitchell wishes Chick-fil-A had opened on Monday, he said.

“I’m a little angry about it actually,” Mitchell said. “I think it should open with the rest of the building.”

Once students have adjusted to the extra eating options on campus, the large crowds in The Commons may shrink, Shackelford said.

“I think it will be crowded the first couple of weeks but I think it will eventually die down a little bit,” Shackelford said. “I think students are just happy to be here right now.”

A grand opening ceremony for The Commons will take place Monday, March 3 at 3 p.m., said University President William Cale in a faculty email Monday, Feb. 24.