Unexpected snow days excite campus community

McKenzie Burns sleds down the hill in front of Powers Hall while Tiffani-Paige Avery, Rachel Terry, Alyson Mavromat and Christina Caufield look on during the Feb. 11 snow day.

Winter conditions Monday night brought cold weather, icy roadways and most notably snow.

Due to the dangerous driving conditions, officials elected to close the university on Tuesday, Feb. 11 and Wednesday Feb. 12, said Chief of Police Bob Pastula.

Campus police worked three car accidents on Wood Avenue Tuesday during the morning hours. Police have continued to assist with any traffic issues throughout the weather, Pastula said.

Although police are hard at work, the snow attracted campus residents outside to play, Pastula said.

“There were some (students) out on campus at 2 or 3 a.m. ,” Pastula said. “They were playing in it like they’ve never seen snow before.”

Some of the students playing on campus property were disruptive, Pastula said.

“We got calls from Grandview Apartments because there were students having a snowball fight in the early morning while other tenants were trying to sleep,” Pastula said.

Freshman Jonathan Barnett is grateful that officials decided to cancel school for the day.

“I love that UNA chose to close on this beautiful day,” Barnett said. “I get the chance to rest and catch up on my homework and reading. I’m going to play in the snow. It is not everyday that we get such a blessing in Alabama.”

Freshman Aubrey Champion believes the university did not have to close for the day, she said.

“I’m glad school closed today, but I don’t think we actually needed to,” she said. “Most of the snow had melted by 10 a.m. I’ll probably just stay inside and watch Netflix all day and do homework.”

Most Alabama residents are unfamiliar with driving in the snow, said senior Ashton Nemith who is from Ohio.

“(The snow) made me feel like I was at home again,” Nemith said. “I only get to see snow when I go home at Christmas time.”