UPC bill enforces stricter guidelines, increasing delegate accountability

The members of the University Program Council are continuing their stride toward being more visible on campus.

A bill adding new guidelines to the UPC’s Code of Laws requires delegates to display a higher level of accountability to students and each other was passed by the council on Jan. 27.

The bill would establish that any delegate proposing an event will be required to submit a written proposal to the UPC body for approval before moving forward with planning. The proposal must contain the committee hosting the event, a cap budget, tentative date and description of what the event entails.

The bill will immediately become a law if the Senate branch of the Student Government Association also passes it.

The purpose of this bill is to allow UPC meetings to run smoother and to make members more accountable, said SGA Chief of Staff Samuel Satterfield, who proposed the bill.

“I feel that UPC should have everything on paper,” Satterfield said. “We’re spending students’ money and as a result, we should be able to show them exactly where it all goes.”

Currently, UPC depends on meeting minutes to provide information about proposed bills and events. The new proposal system would require documentation that will offset the miscommunication and confusion about how much events will cost, said Vice President of UPC Walter Hartley.

The bill also requires delegates to seek approval from the UPC body before working as a representative of the council.

“We’ve had an issue in the past where a delegate started making specific plans for an event before they got the event approved by the whole UPC body,” Hartley said. “Luckily, the event did get approved. But if it hadn’t then that would have made UPC look really unprofessional.”