Students honored during opening meeting of Alabama State Legislature

President Cale, Dr. Hulsey and student counselors pose with participants of the inaugural session of Camp Courage. The campers and counselors were honored for their participation in the camp program.

Six education students were acknowledged during the inaugural session of Camp Courage on Jan. 15 at 11 a.m.

They were recognized during the opening meeting of the Alabama State Legislature in Montgomery.

The ceremony’s speakers included UNA President William Cale and Alabama Governor Robert Bentley, among others.

The students were honored for their service as camp counselors at the inaugural Camp Courage event, which took place last fall.

Camp Courage is an innovative program founded by UNA, the Ivy Green foundation and the Alabama Optometric Association that allows children with disabilities to see how they can make a difference. The model for the camp is based on the relationship between Hellen Keller and Anne Sullivan, said Victoria Hulsey, interim chair of the department of elementary education at UNA.

“Without Anne Sullivan there would not have been a Helen Keller,” Hulsey said. “(President Cale) acknowledged our students as being the Anne Sullivans of the camp.”

The 10 children who participated in the program were acknowledged before the legislature by Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard, Hulsey said.

“As they came in the speaker of the house introduced each child, told their background, what they wanted to be when they grew up and what award they won during the camp,” Hulsey said. “It was wonderful.”

Samantha Fotovich, a senior who served as a camp counselor, believes the ceremony was more about the kids than anyone else.

“To me, it has always been about the kids,” said Fotovich. “During camp back in October, those 10 students earned a special place in my heart as I watched them celebrate their talents that sometimes get overlooked. These individuals are fun-loving kids before they are ‘blind’ or ‘deaf,’ and it was amazing to see them recognized for the special people that they are.”

Along with Fotovich, UNA students Natalie Kull , Kayla Dunham, Janna Hynes, Stephanie Martin and Abby Moon were also recognized for their efforts as counselors, Hulsey said.

“The speakers kept comparing us (the UNA teachers) to Hellen Keller’s teacher Annie Sullivan,” Fotovich said. “I can see where they are coming from and I am honored to be compared to such an extraordinary individual. However, those kids taught me more in two days than I think I could have ever taught them.”

The camp’s sponsors hope that the attention the event has drawn will help it expand its reach to statewide next year, Hulsey said.

“The hope is to take it statewide the following year and national the next, we’ve got international interest as well!” Hulsey said.

For more information on Camp Courage and how students can get involved in the Shoals Community, click here.