Bucket list essential for final semester

And…we’re back. What up, spring of 2014?

I know we are just getting started, but I can’t help but look forward to wrapping this school year up.

For me, the end of this semester will mean graduation (assuming I get to graduate), as it will also mark my first steps into the “real world.” With that in mind, I’ve been thinking on some things that I’d like to do to finish out my college career. When I pair these tasks with my new year’s resolutions, it makes for one interesting (and hopefully practical) bucket list.

1. Get in shape. I’ve let my job as news editor go to my gut, it’s time to put the beaten up athletic shoes back on and care about what I eat and drink (craft beer will always be a staple in my diet, but maybe not so much, eh?).

2. Hit my stride. I know it’s hard for all of us to get back in the swing of things after the holidays have been so chill, but I know I can be more proactive in transitioning into a disciplined mindset for school and work. Maybe I’ll use my planner — I’ll probably have to buy a functional planner first though.

3. Exceed expectations. This Flor-Ala job is not the easiest, but when you work hard and a plan comes together well, it can be one of the most rewarding. Like most jobs, you get out of it what you put in to it, so why not put in a little extra?

4. Make new friends. Each semester brings new classes and new opportunities to meet people that could be of great value and significance to you. I await these new friendships, and, who knows, one of them could be with you!

5. Do something that I don’t want to. I could technically cross this off during some of my days as news editor, but I’d rather hold out for something new, adventurous and scary. It could be as simple as learning to play baseball or as terrifying as taking down a wasp’s nest single-handedly (God forbid that actually happens).

6. Pay attention in class. I’m the king of poorly executed “multi-tasking” in the classroom and I’m regularly amazed at what I can learn when I’m actually engaged in class. I’m actually taking some measures to ensure this one happens (like taking independent study courses and class-sections where I won’t have any friends).

7. Read in my spare time. I read four, maybe five books last semester. This number is considerably low in comparison to the amount of Netflix I watched or time I spent goofing off on social media…which leads me to my next goal.

8. Work on audience awareness. As news editor of this paper, and an intern with a campus ministry, I should be very conscious of the things I say, and don’t say, on social media and in the public eye. Maybe I can calm down just a little on the obscure 90s hiphop references.

9. Be grateful. I’m the natural cynic. I’d like to make sure that our university’s administration, faculty and staff know that I’m appreciative of their work to make my experience at UNA a great one, as it has been over the past three and a half years.

Amidst the craziness of a job, an internship, responsibilities to my church and planning my next career move, it will be very easy to lose sight of the things and people who really matter. So, the most important goal for me this year is to be “all there” and grateful for the folks who are always there for me.

I’ve written a lot this year on loss and struggle, and I think it’s safe to say that valuing my time here and not wasting my life (taking any time for granted) are still the most important things to me. May we all strive to finish this semester out with efficiency and class.