NPHC Pan-Hellenic Council holds convocation for groups, prospective students

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated, composed of nine sororities and fraternities, held it’s Spring 2014 Convocation on Jan. 21 at 6 pm in the Guillot University Center.

The program opened with a welcome by Kaci Savage, NPHC President, followed by the history of the organization, given by Indigo Fort, Secretary.

“I feel like NPHC is important because it is a cultural component to UNA,” Savage said. “We are a minority on this campus, and it adds to our heritage. It’s also a tradition, and it gives us values that we can contribute to the community.”

Julie Fletcher, Greek Adviser, introduced the guest speaker, Rasheed Cromwell.

Cromwell’s presentation, entitled All We Do is Step and Stroll? What is a Greek Letter Organization? gave the history of NPHC, debunked common misconceptions about Greek organizations and gave advice to prospective and current NPHC members on how to make the most of their time with their organizations.

“You need to leave a legacy,” Cromwell said. “What positive contributions have you made on UNA’s campus? Before you join, think about what you can bring.”

There was much to take away from the guest speaker, said De’Jhan Holland, senior.

“I appreciated the genuine history,” Holland said. “He spoke about (how) over time, we tend to make up things about our organizations that aren’t true, just to make ourselves seem different. If we stick to our roots, we wouldn’t have the problems that we face today.”

The program ended with a question and answer session for prospective students, lead by Cromwell.