Phi Mu takes home 1st place at Step Sing

Ellen McDonald Staff Writer [email protected]

Every year, the University of North Alabama showcases its sororities and fraternities through song and dance. This year the Greek organizations of UNA did so through movie-inspired performances. Organizations showcased their talents to songs from movies such as “High School Musical,” “Scream,” “Holes” and “Bohemian Rhapsody.” 

Daniel Green, the UPC hype man, was featured as the Master of Ceremonies. Green was accompanied by the newly crowned Miss UNA, Caitlin McCrary, as the Mistress of Ceremonies. 

The show consisted of three divisions: men’s, women’s, and co-ed. 

The show began with the brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha, also known as PIKE, performing songs from “High School Musical.” Their performance included an outfit change. While singing “Get’cha Head in the Game,” the boys threw basketballs across the stage at one another. 

Next, the sisters of Alpha Delta Pi took the stage, incorporating a set of movies, rather than just one. The girls’ performance began with dialogue explaining that the sisters were trying to decide what movie to watch. As they argued over whether they should choose a romance, comedy or horror film, the audience was transported into one of the sister’s dreams. 

Their first scene was from “Titanic,” and as the sisters swayed, arms open, audience members were hit with all the emotions the song, “My Heart Will Go On” brings. The second movie choice was “Mean Girls.”  Lastly, “Scream” was presented. One of the sisters came onto the stage with the iconic “Scream” mask, while the theme song from the movie “Halloween” played in the background. 

The next organization was Phi Mu. The performance featured the reenactment of characters such as the Glinda the good witch, the Wicked Witch of the West and Dorothy, complete with shiny red shoes.  

As the song “Lollipop” by the Chordettes played, the munchkins came onto the stage. Alongside the munchkins, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, the Scarecrow and the Wicked Witch of the West came into the spotlight. As the Wicked Witch of the West took the stage, Billie Eilish’s “Bad Guy” filled the auditorium.

Next up were the sisters of Alpha Gamma Delta. They chose to showcase one of the biggest movies of 2019: “Bohemian Rhapsody.” The sisters changed the lyrics a bit to be more about college life. Performing songs such as, “We Will Rock You” and “We Are the Champions,” sorors turned on their phone flashlights and lit up the audience. 

Next to take the stage was Zeta Tau Alpha with their showcase of “Zeta and the Seven Dwarfs.” The sisters sang songs such as “Happy” by Pharrell Williams and “Rude Boy” by Rihanna. While the other sororities sang, Zeta did something different and rapped to many of their songs. 

The next organization to get onstage was Lambda Sigma Phi. The brothers took inspiration from “Toy Story” and allowed the audience to follow “Sarge” and his army of green men on a journey to save Little Bo Peep. 

The brothers did the unexpected and turned the lights on the stage off as their bodies glowed in the dark. While the brothers might have been performing onstage, they did not forget to showcase their philanthropy for the 2020 year, Toys for Tots. Their performance was complete with all the “toys” falling to the ground as Andy entered the room.

Then were the brothers of Phi Gamma Delta, or Fiji. The brothers chose to perform a piece inspired by the movie “Holes.” While the theme might have been “A Night at the Movies,” Fiji made sure to modernize their performance through the incorporation of the “Renegade” dance from the app, Tik Tok. 

The final student organizations were Alpha Delta Chi and the Independent Greek Council. Showcasing songs from “Grease.” They chose to take a jab at the university’s campus parking during their time on stage, making the audience laugh. Furthermore, they sang “Thank U, Next” to show why they believe UNA is the best university. 

Lastly, as per tradition, UNA’s group of faculty and staff performed dances from Tik Tok. The show also featured a performance from Miss UNA and later Daniel Green.

The winners of Step Sing 2020 were announced on the second night of the show. Taking home the “Friend of the Pride” prize were the brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha. First place for the Co-ed category went to the Independent Greek Council. In the women’s division, second place was awarded to the sisters of Alpha Gamma Delta. First place was awarded to Phi Mu in the women’s category. Second place in the men’s division went to Pi Kappa Alpha and first to the brothers of Lambda Sigma Phi. 

Taking home the trophy for first place overall were the sisters of Phi Mu. 

After the show, the University Program Council announced UNA’s spring concert artist: Blackbear. The show is scheduled for April 16th in Flowers Hall. Tickets for the spring concert will be available in March at una.edu/UPC.