Bill allocating snack funds for Faculty Senate passes

The Senate Branch of the Student Government Association passed Bill 14-01 and tabled Bill 13-22 at the first meeting of the semester on Jan. 9.

Bill 14-01, proposed by Legislative Affairs Committee Chairperson Kyle Enloe and ratified by the senate, was drafted to allocate $65 from the SGA miscellaneous fund to use for the purchase of refreshments to be provided to the Faculty Senate to thank them for their service.

About $45 is to be used for the purchase of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and approximately $15 is to be used to buy coffee.

The venue of the faculty appreciation refreshments will also be used to invite the faculty to Higher Education Day, an event that will be held at the state house in Montgomery on Feb. 27, Enloe said.

Karli Creech of the Higher Education Partnership spoke to the Senate about events that will take place at Higher Education Day and how students can get involved.

“Higher Education Day is the opportunity for college students from across Alabama to have their voices heard by the legislators,” Creech said. “At the event, students rally on the steps of the state capitol to ask for one-third of the education budget to be given to higher education institutions.”

SGA is working to get the student body involved in the event by putting on Hype for Higher Education Day, Enloe said in his committee report.

“We have set a goal of getting 100 students from UNA to Montgomery for Higher Education Day,” he said.

Bill 13-22 proposed that $1,000 from the SGA miscellaneous account be allocated to send five additional representatives to the Collegiate Legislature Conference, making 20 the total number of attendees.

According to the Alabama YMCA Collegiate Legislature’s website, “(the event) gives delegates the opportunity to draft, present and debate pressing, relevant bills on the floor of the Alabama House of Representatives.”

The need for the funds was questioned because the names of the students attending the conference could not be produced at the meeting.

Senator Jordan Graham proposed that the bill be tabled until the next meeting so that a list of attendees could be gathered and their plans to attend could be confirmed.

The bill was continued until the next meeting, where it will be opened for discussion again before a vote takes place.