Professor announces three new minors

Students work in a computer lab during a computer information systems course. Three computer science minors have been approved for next semester.

by Jasmine Fleming

In order to develop students into competitors for the job market, new minors are being introduced on campus. Three new minors in computer science have been recently approved this semester that may be useful to students majoring in a variety of fields, said John Crabtree computer information systems professor. 

“One (new minor) is for computer science majors,” Crabtree said. “They can get a minor in HCI (human computer interaction) development. CIS majors can get a minor in HCI development as well, and art majors can get a minor in HCI design.”

The new minors are meant to provide students with a diverse background, Crabtree said. 

“Northrop Grumman, a major defense contractor in Huntsville, came to us to see if we were interested in setting up this minor program,” Crabtree said. “Companies like defense contractors, Apple, and Google, are all looking for people who have a broad range of skills and can work in multiple areas.”

These new minors are also supposed to prepare students for careers where they have to make difficult things easier to understand, Crabtree said. 

“Most folks, if they have an iPhone or smart phone, generally don’t read the manual,” Crabtree said. “To create something that is that user-friendly takes a lot of work. So, companies like Apple are looking for people who can design things that are very intuitive and easy to use.”

Sophomore Chuck Chiriaco believes the minor could lead the university to offer even more computer science classes, he said.

“UNA needs more and more computer based classes,” Chiriaco said. “There definitely aren’t enough right now, especially for computer science majors. Some of our classes actually got cut, and we need more.”

Students can get started with the new introductory course for these minors next semester, Crabtree said. 

“I’ll be bringing in guest lecturers from Northrop Grumman,” Crabtree said. “They’re going to come and deliver some of the lectures, and they’ll also evaluate some of the students design work and give them feedback. I’m also hoping to have different professors from UNA teach different parts of the course.”

Classes in these minors will come from the departments of computer science and information systems, English, communications, psychology, geography and art, Crabtree said. 

“The idea is that all the students from different majors come together to take this intro class, and then they’ll go their separate ways based on what their major has designed,” Crabtree said. “For instance, if you’re in computer science, you’ll take Communication in a Global Age, a couple of art classes, Cognitive Psychology, and the English class New Media Writing. If you’re an art major, in addition to the intro class, you’ll take CIS 236, Digital Media Art classes, Cognitive Psychology and a Digital Media senior project course.”

Students who pursue a minor will be able to participate in a capstone course where they will be able to apply their knowledge to a real project, Crabtree said.

“Next semester, we’re hoping to add minors in geography, English and psychology, and there may be others,” Crabtree said. “They are in the approval process.”

Chiriaco could see why students would want to add diversity to their program with a minor like this, he said.

“I look at computer science as a math,” Chiriaco said. “It’s always good to have a plethora of skills in your background. Having taken classes in areas such as art would not hurt you in any way when dealing with computer graphics.”

“I think (these minors are) a great idea because I know that we live in an ever-changing world,” said freshman Kaitlynn Jones. “I think it’s important for people to be able to know about technology and be able to explain it to others.”

Jones is open to the idea of integrating computer science courses into her art degree, she said.

“I’m not a very tech-y person,” Jones said. “Technology and I don’t get along very well. I think it would be important, especially because I’m not very good with technology, to be able to take those classes and learn more about it.”