Symphony strings up for Christmas concert

A mixture of students and Shoals residents, that make up the Shoals Symphony, practice under the direction of Viljar Weimann, symphony director, on Mon. 18. The symphony’s Christmas concert is scheduled for Dec. 8 at 2 p.m. in Norton Auditorium.

The Shoals Symphony at UNA will host their “A Christmas Gift”  concert on Dec. 8 at 2 p.m. in Norton Auditorium. 

“The Shoals Symphony is the best performing organization or ensemble here in North Alabama and in the Shoals,” said Viljar Weimann, Shoals Symphony director. “We are the only symphony orchestra (in the Shoals area), and it’s a big thing for a neighborhood like this to have an orchestra that plays well. It’s a nice way to spend your Sunday afternoon to come and here some of the most beautiful symphonic literature to be played by musicians.”

The Shoals Symphony will play several pieces for their Christmas performance, he said. 

“We open with L’Arlesienne suite by George Bizet, who is known by his opera music, especially Carmen,” Weimann said. “Then we do George Chadwick’s, an American composer’s, piece Noel, which is written for Christmas. It’s a wonderful, soft and beautifully slow piece depicting the mood and spirit of Christmas.”

The third piece is also the largest for the concert, Weimann said.

“Our biggest piece for orchestra alone will be Johannes Brahms’ Variations On a Theme by Haydn,” Weimann said. “The theme is Haydn’s St. Anthony Chorale, which he wrote. It is one of the most beautiful pieces for orchestra.”

The Shoals Symphony invited the Heritage Children Chorale from Athens to perform with them, Weimann said.

“There are about 40 (members) under the direction of Mary Stephenson, who is the director and founder,” Weimann said. “(They) will be joining us to sing some of the (popular) Christmas songs with the orchestra accompaniment and A Capella during the second half. (They are) one of the only high-quality children’s choirs in this area.” 

Many UNA students are involved with the orchestra, Weimann said.

“In the orchestra, we have over 60 (members),” Weimann said. “A little bit more than half are UNA students. Students receive a performance award for being a part of (the symphony) from their university for the term.”

For senior William Davis, joining the Shoals Symphony was an easy decision, he said

“I joined the Symphony in the fall of 2012 as a transfer student from the University of Alabama,” Davis said. 

“Being a Music Education major and wanting to attend Graduate School for performance, it was more than fitting that I join to get the experience.”

The community, as well as UNA students, should attend the concerts, Davis said.

Playing in the symphony can be challenging, but the difficulty is worth it, said Ashlyn Riley, sophomore.

“I enjoy the challenging music and being able to play with fellow students as well as professional musicians,” Riley said. “We have a wonderful conductor who encourages us to become better musicians.”

UNA students should consider attending the concert because symphony music can be enjoyed by all, Riley said.

“I think that more students should come to our concerts because the Shoals Symphony provides a variety of music from different cultures and genres,” Riley said. “Most young people think symphony music is more geared towards older generations, but actually there is something in it for everyone.”

General public tickets will be $15 dollars, and student tickets will be $5.