Blockbuster unable to compete with online streaming

Blockbuster was once a company that used to be very popular when it came to watching new movies. It has now taken a backseat to movie options such as streaming sites like Netflix.

Blockbuster will close its remaining stores in the United States and abroad, except for those that are franchised and licensed, according to a Nov. 6 press release from Dish Network.

“DISH Network Corporation today announced that its subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., will end its retail and by mail DVD distribution operations by early January 2014,” the press release read. “The company will close its approximately 300 remaining U.S.-based retail stores, as well as its distribution centers.”

Competition with newer methods of watching movies has lead to these closings, said Joseph Clayton, DISH President and Chief Executive Officer, in the press release.

“This is not an easy decision, yet consumer demand is clearly moving to digital distribution of video entertainment,” Clayton said. “Despite our closing of the physical distribution elements of the business, we continue to see value in the Blockbuster brand, and we expect to leverage that brand as we continue to expand our digital offerings.

DISH Network will continue to use certain offerings from Blockbuster, according to the press release.

“DISH will retain licensing rights to the Blockbuster brand, and key assets, including the company’s significant video library,” the press release read. “DISH will focus on delivering the Blockbuster (at) Home service to DISH customers, and on its transactional streaming service for the general market, Blockbuster On Demand.”

Blockbuster self-destructed by trying to work through stores, mailing and online, said Jason Flynn, assistant professor of Film and Digital Media Production.

“(Blockbuster had) too much at one time, and they are only now concentrating on competing in one (area),” Flynn said. “Netflix beat Blockbuster in the movie mailing business, which really only held the plus of being able to mail in your movie or switch it in a store, and Blockbuster’s later offering of that just never measured up. Then, Blockbuster fell behind in the streaming business.”

Among my students, Netflix streaming is the most popular way to watch movies, Flynn said.

“They attribute this to the low price and convenience,” Flynn said. “I encourage them to at least purchase the ‘one DVD at a time’ option, because the catalog is so much richer. As for the streaming companies, if they’re listening to me, (they should) stream more and better titles.”

Freshman Herbie Kidd’s family no longer rents movies.

“The last time I remember going to an actual Blockbuster or any movie store for that matter, I think I was in the second grade,” Kidd said. “Mom has a thing called a Roku that hooks up to the Internet and has Netflix on it. That’s pretty much all we use.”

Netflix might not be the best method for watching movies, Kidd said.

“They’re still making hard copies to try and compete with (streaming), hence the Blu-rays,” Kidd said. “The Blu-rays are way more high-definition than you could stream. If you want to stream something that quality over your Internet, it’s going to take a lot of data.”

Netflix has beat competition like Blockbuster because it’s fast and convenient, said freshman Adam Elders.

“If you’re sitting on your couch, all you have to do is press a button,” Elders said. “On my (Xbox) controller, I can get a movie instead of me getting in my car, driving all the way down to Blockbuster, picking out a movie and then having to drive back.”

I would rather have my own copies than stream movies, Elders said.

“I like to have a DVD or disk,” Elders said. “If I have a disk (copy) of something, then it’s a movie that I really like. There’s a different feel to watching something on disk and streaming.”