UNA Senate fails to pass smoke-free campus resolution

SGA Senate failed to pass a resolution at their Nov. 21 meeting that would begin the process of making UNA’s campus smoke-free.

The Smoke-Free UNA resolution failed with 15 nays, nine ayes and one abstention from the senators.

If it had passed, the resolution would prohibit tobacco smoking on UNA’s campus. Sarah Emerson, senate pro-tempore, said she wanted the resolution to pass because the university needs to keep up with other schools in the state.

“UNA is supposed to be a leader in the state of Alabama, and with all of these universities already going smoke-free, it makes us look like we are behind,” Emerson said.

Over 792 universities and community colleges are smoke-free in the United States, with 34 of those campuses in the state of Alabama, according to the resolution. These colleges include Auburn University, North-West Shoals Community College, University of Alabama- Huntsville, University of Alabama- Birmingham and Troy University, according to the resolution.

In October, 832 students participated in a survey about the smoking habits of students and how they felt about going smoke-free. Sixty-eight percent of students who participated in the survey supported a smoke-free campus and 18 percent were in opposition, according to the resolution.

During the discussion of the smoke-free resolution, there were mixed feelings from the senators.

“We had 832 students participate in the survey, but we have over 5,500 students at UNA, so that was not the majority,” said Tyrie Fletcher, budget oversight committee chairman. “While the majority of students at UNA’s campus don’t smoke, as SGA we still represent a minority of students who do smoke.”

Student Welfare Chairwoman Mary-Francis Wilson said she is in favor of the smoke-free resolution.

“I understand that if this is passed then we will be taking away a right for smokers, but by having people smoke on campus we are taking away some peoples’ right to breathe,” Wilson said.

If Senate passed the smoke-free resolution it would still have to be approved by several chains of command at the university before it would go into effect, said Tammy Jacques, director of Student Engagement and faculty adviser for Senate.

Throughout the months of October and November, all branches of SGA were encouraged to get student feedback about the idea of going smoke-free. SGA collected over 450 signatures in a campus-wide petition from students, faculty and staff, according to the resolution.

The population of smokers on campus is insignificant as recorded by the 5 percent of voters in the campus-wide survey who consider themselves frequent smokers, according to the smoke-free resolution.

“I feel this is an incorrect solution to the (smoking) problem, because whether you smoke or not you are still a student,” said Senator Robby Thompson. “The Student Government is calling a percentage of the student body insignificant and I don’t feel that is right.”

Emerson explained to the group how the resolution could be beneficial to students.

“You see the same group of smokers everyday and our campus isn’t a big smoking community,” Emerson said. “By passing this we could help them quit smoking or reduce their habit.”

Before the resolution can be voted on by Senate again, amendments will have to be made to it, Jacques said.