Marketing fraternity prepares for competition

Members of the newly founded Pi Sigma Epsilon chapter will be competing in a regional competition in Birmingham on Nov. 15. 

The group will go up against other regional chapters of PSE, a co-ed marketing, sales and management fraternity, in a series of real life business scenarios, said Steven Steffel, chapter president.

“Students will participate in individual competitions as well as an event called the Pro-Am-Sellathon,” said Jerome Gafford, the group’s adviser. “The people that go to these competitions get to practice their skills with real business professionals, who are also the judges. (Competitions give) the students the ability to go out and hone those business skills, while building a network around the country.”

The event assesses students’ capacity to appreciate the role of a sales professional, demonstrate the ability to perform in a competitive environment, test students’ verbal and nonverbal communication skills and comprehend the sales process in a business-to-business setting within a national competition, according to the national organization’s website.

If the UNA chapter is able to win in the regional competition, they will advance to the national competition, which is to be held in Miami, FL in the spring. The events are also a great opportunity for students looking to get business experience to learn and network with real companies, Gafford said.

“It’s an organization that reaches far beyond the collegiate level,” Gafford said. “Employers know that the thing students are prepared for by participating in PSE are the kinds of experiences they will need in the job market.”

With over 20 members inducted in its first week, PSE is already gaining popularity on campus, Gafford said.

“One of PSE’s catchlines is a business advantage for life,” Steffel said. “When you join PSE you are not joining a group of friends, but a network. You’re on gonna get what you put into it.” 

PSE offers students and members practical application through the various officer positions. These positions include chapter-specific positions such as administrator, human resources, marketing, president, finance and public relations, Steffel said.

“(PSE can) really give you an idea about the career you are planning to go into,” Steffel said. “What is going to set you apart in the job market is not your resume. Your resume gets you in the door, but your experience and what you’ve done are going to help you get that job.”

Freshman Michael Stewart believes the organization will better prepare him for a career in human resources, he said.

“I’m glad that UNA is starting an organization like this,” said Michael Stewart, a freshman. “As a human resources major and a freshman here, this really interests me. I’ll be joining soon, and I’m excited to be able to actually practice skills that I’ve learned in the classroom in real life.”

Gafford said that he has encountered employers who are looking specifically for students who have been involved in PSE, and that many students involved are able to meet their future employers through involvement in the organization now.

“It does give you that ability to work with people on a national level, both in education and in the professional life as well,” Gafford said. “We’re excited to offer this opportunity to students.”

Editor’s Note: News Editor Pace Holdbrooks contributed to this report.