Six Hour Mix impresses, does not receive ample turn out

Brittney Mccaig gives Emily Stephenson the choice of a poster after her name was drawn for a door prize at the Six Hour Mix that took place on Tuesday Nov. 12 in the Communications Building.

This year’s Six Hour Mix assembled by Film & Digital Media Production presented a diverse assortment of films but did not draw a large crowd on Nov. 12.

According to the Facebook event created for The Mix, 48 people were supposed to be in attendance, however the largest audience at any one time was 20.

“I got an invitation from a friend who is majoring in film, and I thought I might enjoy the event,” said freshman Justice Gilbert. “The Mix was enjoyable for the most part. The only thing I thought could be improved was better PR because I didn’t receive an email or hear about it.”

Freshman Kaitlin Douglas agreed with Gilbert that more advertising would affect future turn-outs.

“It was pretty good but the turn out could have been better,” Douglas said. “It might have had something to do with them not advertising it more.”

Everyone was welcome to the event, said Jason Flynn, assistant professor of film and digital media production.

“Six Hour Mix is a once-a-year event where we show student-produced content over the last year,” Flynn said. “Most of it is film and digital media students, but we take stuff from anyone in the community.”

The films shown are noncompetitive and the contributors are at all different stages of production, Flynn said.

“An intro student’s work will play right before a community member’s work, right before a senior practicum — it’s a mixture of stuff,” he said.

The Film & Digital Media Production students singlehandedly organized the entire event.

“They go through, collect and put all of the videos together, then put in the request for funding,” Flynn said. “The only thing I had to do this year was show up. It was nice.”

The mix is an important chance to annually showcase our work, Flynn said.

“We try to make an effort to showcase our work throughout the year with various projects —not just class stuff but with projects we do for the university and the community,” he said.

The Six Hour Mix provides inspiration for film students and gives everyone a chance to see what everyone else is doing, said Jeremy Jackson, a senior film student.

“If a person feels like what they do isn’t good enough they can compare their work to others and maybe that will push them,” Jackson said.

Aside from comparing work with others, students may also be given a sense of purpose, said Cody Hopper, a senior film student

“It gives them something to look forward to so the work is not being wasted somewhere,” Hopper said. “It does get an audience so they see how people might respond to it.”