Estimated 300 students affected by shutdown

Until the government shutdown conflict can be resolved in Congress, an estimated 300 students with financial ties to the military will be withheld monthly stipends and other aid. 

Students affected include those enlisted in the National Guard, Army reserves, as well as veterans and students who receive veterans benefits, said Temporary Veterans Affairs Specialist Jeannie Kilpatrick.

“There are so many kids that depend on that monthly stipend, they live on that,” Kilpatrick said. “What I’ve heard is that hopefully (federal programs like Veterans Affairs) will be able to make Nov. 1 payments, but I don’t know if that’s for sure or not — it’s going to depend on whether the government is back up.”

The amount students receive from VA benefits vary on a case by case basis, but many students could be out several thousand dollars, Kilpatrick said. The last update she received from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on Oct. 7 indicated there was no change.

“Phone lines are not being manned right now so I can’t get any updates,” Kilpatrick said. “This is the last update I have and nothing’s changed.”

Students who are enlisted in ROTC or as members of National Guard will not be receiving their stipends for October until the government is fully functioning again, said Lt. Col. Michael Snyder.

“As it relates to the (ROTC) cadets, it affects only those who are contracted, and not all of them are under contract,” Snyder said. “Everybody wants to pay them, but Congress has not appropriated funds for fiscal year 2014 to pay them.”

Students enlisted in the National Guard have had drills postponed, in addition to having stipends withheld until Congress can pass a budget that will advocate the necessary funds, Snyder said.

“I was shocked to find out about the government shutdown, however, I was even more shocked to hear that the National Guard wasn’t getting paid,” said Josh Smith, a junior and member of the 167 Infantry of the National Guard. “To some people $250 isn’t much, but to me missing that paycheck is very noticeable. I’ve had to work more at my civilian job to make up for the difference.”

Christian Kirk, also a member of the 167, said he did not expect to lose the money he receives from the stipend, though it has not seriously affect his finances.

“It’s more of an inconvenience (and) annoyance that some of our money is being delayed, but with that being said we will be back-paid as soon as things are straightened out,” Kirk said.

Kirk and Smith both said they hope the shutdown will be resolved soon, since it affects anyone with financial ties to the military.

“I find it absolutely ridiculous that I signed up to serve my country and fight for the people, but yet I’m being put on the backburner,” Smith said. “It seems as though my devotion to this nation isn’t enough. I pray that this governmental hiatus ends soon so I can resume the job I love: serving the people of the United States.”

For information on how Veterans can respond to the shutdown, see this document.