Group hosts singer, songwriter showcase

Dylan Sutherland performs at the Entertainment Industry Student Association’s Singer and Songwriter Open Mic Night on Wednesday, Sept. 25.

The sound of music filled UNA’s Mane Room during the Entertainment Industry Student Association’s  (EISA) first event of the semester, a Singer and Songwriter Open Mic Night, held on Wednesday, Sept. 25. 

“Open mic nights are open to all students at UNA, and I want to encourage everyone to get involved with EISA events,” said Katie Swann, president of EISA. “We have had songwriter/open mic nights in the past, and everyone always seems to enjoy them. I feel it is important to host these types of events because it allows artists to practice performing and opens them up to criticism.”

Jordy Searcy, a UNA sophomore, said he attended the event to try out some new material he had written.

“I came prepared to play a song for whoever was there and get a feel for the songwriting scene in Florence,” Searcy said. “It’s a good thing for songwriters to have a chance to showcase their material and be inspired by other writers.”

The atmosphere at the event was very relaxed and provided a comfortable environment for the performers to be themselves, Searcy said.

“After saying hey to some friends and talking about gear for a few minutes, people started playing,” he said. “The room sounded good and it was fun to play a new song I hadn’t played yet. I had a great time and will attend the next one.”

The event is the first of several entertainment based programs the group hopes to host this semester. While EISA is a registered student organization established for entertainment majors, students to not have to be pursuing that major to join, or to participate in events, Swann said.

This semester will mark the fourth year EISA has hosted the UNA music showcase, with auditions being held in late October and the showcase falling on Nov. 14, Swann said.

“Twelve acts will be chosen to compete in the showcase on (Nov.) 14,” Swann said in an earlier interview with The Flor-Ala. “The winner will receive a four hour session at Noiseblock. The auditions are open to anyone in the community 16 and older, with a $5 audition fee.”

EISA, formerly MEISA, provides great opportunities for students who are interested in being involved in several aspects of the entertainment industry, she said.

“I have been in MEISA/EISA since I was a freshman, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it,” Swann said. 

Swann’s goal in her second year as president is to make EISA’s name more prominent on campus, she said.

“This is a great up and coming opportunity for young students coming into UNA,” said Trey Harden, EISA’s event chairman, in an earlier interview with The Flor-Ala. 

Harden said positive networking can have a huge effect on how far a person may go in their field of choice. 

“Our members volunteer at shows, plan events, judge competitions, network and get to interact with individuals with similar interests through our organization,” Swann said. “Networking is key in the entertainment field, so it is vital for all of our department’s students to learn how to broaden their network.”

The sense of networking attracted Adam Wilkins, a freshman who recently joined the organization.

“I think this is really going to help me out in the entertainment industry, because I’m meeting a lot of really cool people that are doing the same kind of things I am,” Wilkins said in an earlier interview with The Flor-Ala.

Swann said she looks forward to planning more events this semester with EISA’s current members. EISA will also be hosting a Halloween Costume Party Food-raiser for the UNA Food Pantry on Oct. 31.

Editor’s Note: Student Writer Emmera Watkins and News Editor Pace Holdbrooks contributed to the reporting of this story.