Inaugural jam session sees low turn out

Alumnus Jamie McFarlane and student Trey Hardin laugh during a break between songs at the inaugural alumni and student jam session on Friday, Oct. 11. The event was held at the Entertainment Industry Department’s Mane Room facility.

The inaugural alumni and student jam session was hosted by the Entertainment Industry Department, following the homecoming pep rally on Friday, Oct. 11. While only a dozen alumni and students attended the jam session, those who participated in the session enjoyed it, said Trey Hardin, student who acted as master of ceremonies.

“Turnouts at these events always vary, but I’m always looking to perform locally, so I appreciate the opportunity to perform,” Hardin said. “It is always fun to perform in a setting such as this jam session.”

The alumni and student jam session was a way for the Entertainment Industry Department to reach out to alumni for homecoming and show off their new facility, the Mane Room on West Tombigbee Street, said Bob Garfrerick,  director of the department of entertainment industry.

“The event is simply an informal get together for students and alumni to come and jam,” Garfrerick said. “The public is invited and it’s free.”

Even though Hardin lead the session, other students and alumni took turns singing and playing guitar, bass guitar and drums.

“I always enjoy being involved in the Entertainment Department’s events, so I definitely wanted to help out with this one,” Hardin said. “These events take the pressure off of anyone who might be nervous to perform because everyone is encouraged to get on stage and sing or play.”

Those performing in the jam session played more than a dozen songs that consisted of mainly classic rock and country genre covers, Hardin said. Alumni and students were provided with refreshments including, including coffee and cake, while they listened to the performances.

Katie Swann, a senior, said she enjoyed the jam and hopes it will become an annual homecoming event, although she is unsure of how the department wishes to participate in the future.

“The alumni and student jam session is a way for the (Entertainment Industry) Department to be involved in the homecoming festivities,” Swann said. “It was a lot of fun because the community was invited to watch and it was a free event.”

She was encouraged to see young and older generations of performers that have studied at the university share the stage together, Swann said.

“We have so many students at UNA who are performers, it was great to see all the talent that took the stage,” Swann said.