Kilby-Pine crosswalk will not happen

Tiffany McIntyre looks for oncoming traffic as she crosses Pine Street from the Communications Building to the parking lot of Kilby Laboratory School. The City of Florence will not install a crosswalk in this part of the road due to safety regulations.

Despite the construction of the new Academic Commons Building and Science and Technology Building, city and campus officials said there will be no pedestrian crosswalks installed on Pine Street between Kilby Laboratory School and the Communications Building. 

Last year, Senate discussed the possibility of a pedestrian crosswalk being added on Pine Street, because there is a lot of student traffic in the area, said Student Government Association (SGA) President Laura Giles.

“The City of Florence will not allow us (SGA) to take any action in pursuing a crosswalk on Pine Street,” Giles said. “They have codes and regulations that will not allow any safety options at this location.”

There are currently two pedestrian crosswalks students can use on Pine Street, located at East Irvine Avenue and in front of Flowers Hall. Some students said they feel the provided pedestrian crosswalks are too far away, resulting in unsafe pedestrian crossing through traffic on Pine Street.

“Cars fly through Pine Street, even though the speed limit is 25 miles per hour,” said Marissa Castile, a broadcast journalism student. “Some students are standing in the middle of the road waiting for cars to pass so they can keep crossing the street.”

The option of providing students with a pedestrian crosswalk in front of the Communications Building has also been discussed by UNA Chief of Police Bob Pastula.

“Since the area in front of the Communications Building is on a hill, it would be dangerous to install a crosswalk there,” Pastula said. “I have called the City of Florence before to see if a crosswalk could be done, and they had their engineers do a study to see if it was possible. The engineers’ study concluded that it could not be done because of the hill.”

Illegal or reckless pedestrian crossing of a roadway, or jaywalking, could get students into trouble, Pastula said. By walking to one of the intersections at East Irvine Avenue or Flowers Hall, students can safely cross the street.

“For the safety of the students, a crosswalk should be installed in front of the Communications Building,” said Brianna Locke, UNA student. “We as pedestrians have rights, and drivers should be more aware of students crossing.”

Annaleigh Rossi, a junior, said she believes there should be some kind of alternative with the traffic on Pine Street.

“If a crosswalk cannot be put in, I think student could benefit with a stoplight by the Communications (Building) parking lot,” Rossi said. “With a stoplight, cars wouldn’t be speeding through the area and students would be in less danger crossing the street.”