Rec center offers fitness options for students

Students stretch before a Zumba class on the third floor of the Student Recreational Center (SRC) located beside the on-campus parking deck. The SRC has a weightroom on the first floor and courts for basketball, volleyball and badminton on the second floor.

The Student Recreation Center (SRC) provides several options for students who are looking to stay in shape while in college, said Glenda Richey, coordinator of fitness at the SRC.

The SRC offers intramural sports for the students or organizations that want to be involved in competitive sports.

Ryan Putnam, coordinator of intramural and club sports, said the SRC offers flag football, soccer, basketball, volleyball and softball, along with several other individuals competition.

“I believe absolutely that students should take advantage of the intramural program,” Putnam said. “Many of the students who come here have some sort of athletic background in high school … so intramurals is a great way to stay active in your favorite sport and to play other sports.”

Intramural sports is not only for Registered Students Organizations (RSOs) as groups of friends or coworkers can form their own teams, he said.

“I would say it is about 50-50,” Putman said. “I do get a lot of teams who are from Greek life or from the campus ministries or registered organizations, but I have a bunch of teams as well who are maybe a group of guys who live on the same floor in the residence halls or maybe it is a group of friends that went to high school together.”

To get involved, it costs $30 a team while individual activities are free to students. 

The newest addition to the list of things offered is “X-Fit” which is a generic type of CrossFit workouts, she said. 

James Eubanks, director of the SRC, said that he wants to see the percentage of students using the SRC above 50 percent.

“Last year, of the students enrolled not including those who take online classes, 37 percent used the rec center,” he said.

Students have to find time to exercise, Eubanks said.

“They have to find how best to manage their time and part of that is to find time to exercise or eating right, so it is matter of growth,” he said. “In regards to the exercise part, they have to find time to do it.”

Exercise has an impact on students’ GPAs, Eubanks said.

“Studies have shown that those who workout or do recreational activities have higher GPAs than those who don’t,” he said.

Students enrolled at the university already pay to use the SRC. Fees cost $10 a credit hour, up to 12 hours, he said.

The SRC gets 40 percent of the fees, the other 60 percent of the fees goes to the university, Eubanks said.

The SRC is an entity outside of the university so the cost of the utilities and equipment has to come out of the 40 percent of the fees they get, Eubanks said.