Possibility that cigarette age raise will not impact smokers

If Alabama were to follow New York and propose a smoking age raise to 21, students claim they would smoke regardless.

New York lawmakers are proposing a law that would raise the smoking age by three years. Their explanation behind the law: public health.

In 2012, 4,000 teenagers under the age of 18 smoked their first cigarette every day, while on the same day, 1,000 other individuals made smoking their new habit, found a study released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The study also showed one out of every three individuals would die a tobacco-related death.

With New York’s proposition for a raised smoking age, other states may follow suit. If the law is passed and Alabama followed in New York’s precedence, law changes on campus would affect many smoking students.

Ernestine Davis, a professor of nursing at UNA, said she agrees with the medical professionals backing this proposal.

“When you start smoking at an early age it can cause many respiratory conditions, such as emphysema and asthma, as well as cancer of the lungs, mouth and salivary glands,” Davis said.

Even though he does not condone smoking, UNA Chief of Police Bob Pastula said he does not think enforcing a potential age raise in Alabama would impact his job significantly, if a law was to be proposed.

“More than likely we would confiscate the cigarettes and process students through the Student Conduct Office,” Pastula said.

Even with consideration of the side effects of smoking, Davis said her opinion of the law did not completely mirror that of New York doctors.

“I would [support the law],” Davis said. “Would the law be followed? Even today laws are not followed. If I had to change the law, I would make it no smoking. It’s something you should never start. If you have you need to try and stop as soon as you can. Once you lose your health, you can’t regain it.”

Student Liz Davis looks at the situation from a less empathetic perspective. Davis said she believes if a person is determined enough to smoke, they will.

“It’s their choice,” Davis said. “If it affects them in the long run, it’s their decision and their problem.”

Senior Bernisha Griffin said she agrees with Davis’ opinion on raising the smoking age because of public health.

“In regards to other people, I really don’t care,” Griffin said. “In America you have to start taking responsibility for your own health.”

A law will not stop adolescents from smoking cigarettes, Griffin said.

“People are going to smoke regardless,” Griffin said. “For some people, it’s beneficial to them. It’s their life choice and business.”

Student Kristen Evans, a frequent smoker, said she does not think raising the legal smoking age is a beneficial idea. Evans said lawmakers are wasting their time trying to pass a law people are going to find a way around.

“I think it’s ridiculous that you can fight for your country and die, but not buy a pack of cigarettes,” she said.

Despite Evan’s opposition of the proposed law, she said she does not agree with underage smoking.

“It’s weird when you see kids who look like they should still be watching Saturday morning cartoons smoking cigarettes,” Evans said. “That is definitely something I have a problem with.”