Tuition rises $11 per credit hour

Undergraduate tuition increased by $11 per-credit-hour for the 2013-2014 school year.  

“The state appropriations that the state uses to give to state-supported schools have gone down,” said Steve Smith, vice president of business and financial affairs Steve Smith. “Since 2007, we’ve lost between 10 and 11 million dollars.” 

In addition to reductions in state appropriations, the university’s costs have increased, such as the costs of benefits and library resources, Smith said.

Despite the drawbacks of paying more, tuition money directly benefits those at the university, Smith said.

“It basically helps us to maintain the academic excellence that we’re trying to provide to keep our staff and professors here, who are good employees,” Smith said. “It helps us keep our buildings safe, our lighting on and our ventilation going into our classrooms to make sure it’s not too hot, not too cold in those buildings. 

“It helps to maintain the publications and online access to the library resources,” Smith said. “It takes a lot to keep this place going.”

Ariel Bell, a freshman at UNA said she believes the administration could be more clear to students when there is a tuition increase.

“For me personally, it hurts my bank account, but I understand why they would increase tuition,” Bell said. “I think they need to clarify what they’re doing with our money.”

Jennifer Hager, a senior, said she believes this change may affect the choice of potential future students.

“I don’t agree with (the administration),” said Hager. “I understand (their reasoning), I guess, but not as much as they did. It feels unfair to me, and definitely for incoming students who (will) receive a shock when they apply.”

The university’s recent move to Division I in athletics did not affect the cost of tuition, but it did affect the athletic fee, Smith said.

“What we do with our tuition and fees is we develop a budget, and that includes our athletic program, as well as pay for the coaches and pay for any other program in the department on campus,” Smith said. “We take all of the tuition fees and develop that budget.”

UNA student Quinton Lane said he feels some of the increases are understandable, but certain areas need less focus.

“I feel like the cost-of-living increase is reasonable, because living expenses increase regularly,” Lane said. “As for an increase in tuition for the athletic fee, I’m not a fan. I feel that the rush to become a D-I school comes at an inconvenient time. 

“I feel that the university should send money toward parking and updating facilities before attempting to raise money for the D-I transition. Parking is a more urgent problem in my opinion, rather than an athletic conference.”

The recent construction on campus does have an effect on the cost of tuition, Smith said.

“There is a portion in that budget that is used to retire debt on the buildings (including) the parking facility that we have and also the recreational facility,” Smith said. “That rec facility fee, part of that is dedicated to retire the debt for (the facility).”

Although construction can affect tuition, Smith said the new science building will not.

“There are funds available for that, so there’s no new assessment of fees or anything for that building,” Smith said.

Editor’s note: Steve Smith recently announced that he will be retiring in december. To read about VP Smith’s decision to retire, look for the article “VP of financial affairs and business to retire” on this website.