Model United Nations RSO educates students

Model United Nations, a registered student organization (RSO) housed under the department of history and political science, does more than meet to talk about various countries around the world each week.

Brittany Huggins, the current Model UN vice president, said it is an organization that helps students understand the inner workings of the United Nations. 

“In MUN (Model United Nations) students role-play delegates, representing one of the state members of the United Nations,” she said. “By doing this, students are able to learn researching skills and conquer fears of public speaking. Students also gain a better understanding of foreign policy and world politics.” 

Model UN is an open group on campus anyone on campus can join the group at anytime, said Jackson Prather, the current president.

“As a member of the Model UN team, you conduct research from the perspective of a UN Member State,” he said. “For example, this year we have the states of Iran and Tunisia, so our delegates will be researching topics like international peace, food security, gender equality and many others from the viewpoints of Iran and Tunisia. We write short summaries of our research, called position papers, and then practice debating our findings in simulations during meetings.”

The next step for UNA’s Model UN group is a trip to Washington, D.C., Prather said. 

“The past few years we have attended regional conferences in Atlanta, St. Louis and Charlotte,” he said. “We have done quite well and have won a number of awards. This year we are moving up to the national level with the conference in D.C. There will be more than 500 students from the United States, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Ecuador, Ghana, India, Bangladesh, Nigeria, France and other nations. For many of our delegates, this will be their first time in Washington, D.C., and the opportunity to interact with so many different cultures and perspectives will be fantastic.”

Model UN provides an educational and role-playing experience that is truly unique, said Sarah Schiavone, a student member.

“Being involved gives you great experience in research, public speaking, debate, policymaking and much more,” she said. “Model UN is valuable to professional development, but is also extremely fun. It is unlike any other class or student organization you will find.”

Leah Graham, associate professor of political science and faculty adviser to UNA’s Model UN group, said the National Model UN group brings in specialists to brief each committee. 

“The group will also schedule briefings with the Iranian and Tunisian Embassies in advance of the conference,” she said. “Armed with knowledge from their research and these sources, the Model UN delegates will then brainstorm, build, debate, negotiate and otherwise use all of the tools of diplomacy to advance the UN policy preferences of the countries they represent and the global community.”

The conferences Model UN delegates attend are an excellent source of networking, Graham said.

“At all of the conferences, including this one, representatives from media outlets, graduate schools, non-governmental organizations and other entities send representatives to meet and recruit delegates,” she said. “Further, these conferences give UNA students the chance to connect with other future scholars, policymakers and activists in foreign affairs from around the country and the world.”