Nursing ranked university’s top major

As of fall 2012, the Office of Institutional Research, Planning and Assessment listed nursing as the most popular major, followed by a tie in elementary education and health, physical education and recreation.

There are approximately 812 students in the nursing program and 289 students listed in the elementary education and health, physical education and recreation majors. 

The biology major has about 274 students enrolled, and the social work major has approximately 229 students enrolled. 

Clarissa Hall, nursing professor at UNA, believes that nursing is the most popular major at UNA because it allows for interpersonal experience.

“Nursing is a dynamic field that allows the nurse to put evidence-based practice together with the art of caring and allows us to care about the patients,” Hall said. 

There is an emphasis on patient care in the program, Hall said.

“I have always been really interested in nursing,” said Eleshia Butler, a sophomore. “I really like helping people and being around people. I like knowing that I will play a part in helping them get better.”

Butler was surprised to learn that UNA had many more nursing majors than any other major.

“Nursing is really tough and competitive, so you would think that more students wouldn’t want to get into it,” Butler said. “I think it comes from the human desire to see sick people get well again.”

Vince Brewton, director of the honors program and associate professor of English, believes nursing is so popular because it prepares students for a specific career.

“In the current job market, any major that seems to have a straight line to a job is going to be popular,” Brewton said. “ I don’t think that is unique to UNA.”

Nursing students at UNA are learning what they need to be successful in the future, Brewton said.

“In 12 years of living in the Shoals, I’ve only heard good things about our nursing graduates,” Brewton said. “My wife and I had all three of our children at ECM (Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital). In each case, young UNA nursing graduates were a part of that process, and we were always very pleased with their knowledge, skill and dedication.”

Brewton warns students from relying solely on any major for success.

“No degree from any university actually prepares a student for the real world,” Brewton said. “The student has to take the initiative and continue enhancing all of the skills – critical thinking, clear, concise writing, effective oral communication, the ability to work in a team, to be independently responsible for projects, to build professional and social network  and social capital and ultimately to make oneself likable – required for success.”

Brewton also recommends students to double major.

“No matter what anyone says, always double major, even if it requires an extra semester or year of study,” Brewton said. “Choose a major that seems to have a fairly reliable path to a job or career and match that with a major that allows you to pursue something of immediate interest, to seek knowledge for its own sake.”

Students often decide on their majors for different reasons. Khadijah Davis, a freshman, said she decided to major in nursing for job security.

“I chose nursing because I feel like it’s a field that will always be popular,” Davis said. “It’s a guaranteed job because everyone needs nurses.”

Mariann Jahrauss, a freshman, said she chose her major, secondary education, because of its top-notch reputation.

“I believe a degree from UNA will help me provide a better education for my future students,” Jahrauss said. “One of my high school teachers actually recommended me to come here for the education program.”

Patrick Spalding, a sophomore, said he is majoring in business because of the flexibility of the degree.

“I believe a business major has such a wide variety of uses,” Spalding said. “I am currently undecided in the business major, but I know that I will have unlimited job opportunities.”