CrossFit: ‘Anyone can do it’

CrossFit has taken the fitness world by storm with its new perspective on getting fit.

Though it has only just recently taken off, CrossFit began to plant its roots in Santa Cruz, California in 2000. The rigorous fitness regime, known for its intensity and variety, was founded by trainer and former gymnast Greg Glassman. 

According to CrossFit.com, crossfit is an activity based on fitness, which is defined on the website as  “constantly varied functional movements performed at relatively high intensity.” It combines aerobics, bodyweight gymnastics and Olympic weight lifting with one sole goal in mind: to improve overall fitness.

According to CrossFit.com, CrossFit now has 5,500 affiliate gyms and more than 35,000 accredited, level one CrossFit trainers. UNA student Caleb Zills, who is currently training to become a certified CrossFit instructor, attributes the sudden rise in popularity to its diversity. 

“We have women and men 50 to 70 pounds overweight,” said Zills. “They’re getting a good workout and becoming healthier. Anyone can do it. You can scale (CrossFit) to any ability.”

CrossFit took their “anyone can do it” attitude a step further when they created a blog outlining daily workouts in 2003. The site allows users to stay in touch, put up scores and keep a consistent, competitive nature from anywhere in the world. 

“(The blog) brings us closer, and it is organized really well,” said Emmett De Jong, a UNA student who frequently engages in CrossFit. “The creator can post a workout and everyone can do it.”

The sense of community locally is important, Zills said.

“You get the camaraderie,” he said. “It’s like a community. Everyone is rooting for everyone else to do well. In the gym, you’re just looking into a mirror. You don’t have the family CrossFit gyms do.”

Zills said his favorite part of CrossFit is its variety.

“You never do the same workout ever again,” he said. “There’s something you can always work at.”

Despite the range of exercises available, UNA freshman Christian Crawtree returns to CrossFit workouts for another reason. 

“Working out in general gets addicting,” said Crawtree. “It starts getting more addictive once you get results.”

A membership at CrossFit Shoals would cost $60 a month at student rate, according to their website. Crawtree said it is a small price to pay for the experience.

“You’re paying for what you get,” Crawtree said. “You can get cheaper off brands but once you do it, you realize it’s a way better program than anything you’ve ever done.”

De Jong does not think the workout is worth the charge unless you’re fully committed to following the regime.

“I try going on weekends when it’s free time,” De Jong said. 

No official studies have confirmed many injuries associated with the fitness training. Men’s Health linked CrossFit to Rhabdomyolysis, a rare and serious condition that causes skeletal muscle to become damaged and break down, in an Oct. 11, 2011 article.

De Jong said a qualified trainer could lighten the risk of injury.

“If done improperly their (CrossFit) exercises could easily injured,” De Jong said. “A good instructor could spot bad form. Most instructors I’ve met have also helped motivate individuals.”