Chief to host meal for campus community

Students who have trouble remembering to eat breakfast might be interested in having “Breakfast with the Chief,” on Sept. 11, hosted by Bob Pastula, chief of police at UNA. 

The event is for the campus community to have a Q-and-A session with university police officers, Pastula said. He hopes the event will be a monthly feature on UNA’s campus, he said.

“That’s going to be a morning get-together between me and the campus community,” Pastula said. “We’re going to have it at Stone Lodge. I am going to try to do this the second Wednesday of every month. We can get together and they can ask questions and I can tell them things that we’re doing, just kind of keep the campus better informed.”

The event will be good for both the campus and the police department because it will be a good opportunity for the police department to meet and share with the student body and other members of the UNA campus, Pastula said.

After a string of alleged crimes occurred on campus and the surrounding community last year, many students, like junior Michelle Burleson, and parents became concerned. Burleson said she believes Breakfast with the Chief will be a good way to ease the anxieties many people have been experiencing as a result of these alleged incidences.

“I think it’s a good idea because the campus can go and talk to (the chief) and they won’t have to worry,” Burleson said. “They can have peace of mind on campus, especially after the events that happened last year.”

Some students, like sophomore Will Chaney, believe there are many problems on campus that the police need to address. Chaney expressed his concerns about safety in the parking deck.

“I’d like to go there and talk to them about the parking deck and how dark it is on campus,” he said. “I think the forum would be a great idea. 

“I don’t know if I need to go once a month, but I think there are definitely some problems on campus and (the forum) would be a great way for students to go and talk about their concerns.”

Breakfast with the Chief will be a benefit to both the police and the campus, said freshman Taylor Burns.

“I think it’s a good idea, because the police can be in touch with the student body and the campus will know what’s going on with the police,” Burns said.